Cheap Insurance

Tom King

Turn your water off, open all the faucets, and hook up an air hose.  Thinking about all those frozen lines in Texas that could have been avoided.  You do need a faucet, with water hose threads, that doesn't have a backflow preventer, somewhere in the system.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L3LN1ZZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn’t know they had something already made up just for this purpose. I’ve been using a homemade version for years for my sprinkler system. We also use it at our shop/office where almost none of the pipes are insulated. It needs to be noted that the inlet valve of the hot water heater needs to be shutoff or turn off the heater. Also, the faucets need to be opened one at a time, then closed and go to the next, etc.  Otherwise, you will only clear the line closest to the air supply. And reasonable care needs to be taken as to the psi of the air pressure. 

• Like 1

When I was building new houses, all water lines sloped down, so they could be drained.  Back when I first started, they were all Summer houses, and people didn't want to have to keep heat in them through the Winter.  Any long runs were supported by a straight board.  There would be faucets, downhill near the lake that could be drained, for both hot, and cold water.  There would be cutoff valves for those lines in the basement.  If there was an outside shower, the system drain was planned into that.  It was another good selling point.  It really wasn't that much extra trouble when installing the plumbing.

When I blow the lines out, the first thing to do is turn the water heater off, Always whenever the water is cut off, whether from valve, or breaker for a well pump. The water heater can be drained separately, but don't forget to fill it up before throwing power to it, or the elements will get burned up immediately running dry.

I open all the faucets, and then close them from upstream end, down the line. I wait to get only air, until moving to the next one.  If a little water is left in the lines, it won't matter if it's not enough to fill a pipe anywhere in the system.

I just set the regulator to 60 psi, and let it run.  I had always used a made up rig too, but ordered one of those 10 buck contraptions yesterday.

• 1 year later...

No, in terms of the contract with our insurance company, there's not even a single point about the road. We took out homeowners insurance in this firm https://squeeze.com/insurance/homeowners about three years ago. During this time, we've already been glad that this insurance covers landslides twice. Our house is constantly trying to tilt to the west. Because of this, cracks appear in the walls of the house, despite the external sealing of the walls and the powerful concrete beams that we built to hold the "runaway" walls. Of course, our natural conditions upset all homeowners in our neighborhood. However, almost every family has taken out the same insurance on the same terms and has resorted to it many times in recent years. This is a common thing.