Added trans tint to Pollycrylic

Dave H

I'm building a bedside table for my granddaughter I wanted to dye the piece with honey amber Trans Tint dye. I tried some mixed with water it was kind of splotchy, I decided to add the dye right to the poly, I tried it on some scrap it worked like a champ. I think I will only do 2 coats of the mix then finish up with some clear. Has anyone tried this on a project? I don't see a downside not to try this.

I have also done it and it works well. It can have a down side in that the color is in the finish rather than the wood. Scratches can be more of an issue. Also, if you are applying several coats, it will tend to mask the wood grain. One or two coats and then clear after that is probably best if that gives you the color you want.

• Like 1

I finished the table for my granddaughter it out nice but, I wish I had some brown trans tint to add to the mix. It seems a little to orange to me I sent my daughter a picture she said its perfect but I think if had toned it down with a little brown dye I would have been happier. I like tinting the poly it covered well I will be using this again I just need more trans tint colors to work with.

before

65748371_grandaughterstable1.thumb.jpg.a827043d3d6fa30ec60d5ea8e1fd2211.jpg

after

1248106677_granddaughtstable.thumb.jpg.54db5abe46ea97d84e3332961402ac09.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

I've worked with some transtint colors and found that they turn out a lot different under WB poly than they do under an oil based poly. The Mission Brown comes out really green.

WB poly always looks greenish to me. Kind of a greenish tint to it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mick S said:

WB poly always looks greenish to me. Kind of a greenish tint to it.

That's good to know. I don't notice it as much on light colored wood with out dark dye coloring underneath. Now thinking about it the Endurovar I sprayed a couple years ago never had the green tint to it... I'll have to keep that in mind when using dyes and darker woods.

• Like 1

Maybe that's what I don't like, there could be a greenish tint to it Hmmm. I used amber shellac on some cabinets once the first 2 coats I thought I had made a mistake as it seemed a bit to yellow but, 2 coats later I thought it was a perfect color exactly what I wanted. I thought the same with the poly but it never mellowed with more coats like the amber shellac.