What does French Country mean to you?

ChetlovesMer

Just thought I'd shoot this out there.

I have a client who has requested a French Country style design. So I put together a design and they love it, but my design included the piece to be finished with Milk-paint which is part of what French Country means to me.

The client loves the design of the piece but rquests that instead of milk-paint the piece is finished "like wood would be finished". So, I have some ideas for a "Wood Finished French Country" design, but I'm curious what you all would use as a finish for "Wood Finished French Country". How would you finish it? What wood would you select?

PS> I'm not asking you to do my work for me. I've already got a solution the client is excited about. I'm just curious how others would interpret the request.

Just thought I'd shoot this out there.

I have a client who has requested a French Country style design. So I put together a design and they love it, but my design included the piece to be finished with Milk-paint which is part of what French Country means to me.

The client loves the design of the piece but rquests that instead of milk-paint the piece is finished "like wood would be finished". So, I have some ideas for a "Wood Finished French Country" design, but I'm curious what you all would use as a finish for "Wood Finished French Country". How would you finish it? What wood would you select?

PS> I'm not asking you to do my work for me. I've already got a solution the client is excited about. I'm just curious how others would interpret the request.

Living in VERY country France there are only three woods to consider in order of preference. Oak, Cherry, or Sweet Chestnut, There are also pieces in Walnut but not so common. I am of course talking European species, but, I don't think you should have too much of a problem using American equivalents.

Due to over exposure the common mistake is to think that all French furniture is roccoco and painted 'shabby sheek' But believe me it ain't. Certainly not in the country, which is more than ninety percent of real France. The problem is, to the outside world, and indeed, to most of those in France who think they are somebody, there is only Paris or Bordeaux. Which is a great pity because most of France is far superior to either.

Most of the country furniture is a little more glossy than I would like but is usually polished clear. There is also a fairly common practice here to darken considerably areas around mouldings etc. in an attempt to make it look old and patinated. Unfortunately most looks exactly what it is 'fake' A lot of the really farmhouse type country furniture will have little more than a few coats of Bee's Wax buffed to a good sheen. On a design front, most is quite heavy, simple and very chunky. Which is one of the reasons I struggle with it so much. I prefer curves, delicate shapes and slim designs. However, as I have to earn a living I have to try and swallow my feelings and build what the client wants.

Hope this is of some help

Pete

Pete,

That is a ton of help. I can tell you for sure that, at least this client, used the term "Shabby-Chic" at least three times in their discription of what they think French Country means. I know exactly what you mean about darkening the areas around the mouldings and such, as a matter of fact that is what this client requested. Like you I try to give the client what they want. Interesting how the perception of French Country isn't always what exists in the French Country...

Thanks a ton for the information. You have been more than a little bit helpful.

Take care.

Shabby Chic...is the whitewash or distressed finish look yes no?:blink: :blink: Perhaps a follow-up with the customer?

-Ace-

Yeah Ace, That's what I thought. Which is why in my original quote to the customer I had milk-paint. But the customer said they didn't want Milk-paint, they wanted it to be "like wood would be finished". So, I revised my quote and came up with what they wanted. Interestingly enough what they wanted was what Pete described. "to darken considerably areas around mouldings etc. in an attempt to make it look old and patinated". This is not my favorite look by the way, (it also sounds like its not Pete's favorite) but that's what the customer wants so that's what the customer shall have.

In my time living in Europe before returning to Australia, I spent quite a lot of time looking at old furniture in France and Italy and Pete is right - Most country furniture had an oil or a wax finish (sometimes both). Paint was (and to some extent, still is) expensive.

By contrast, the German country furniture frequently did use paint as a way of making furniture made out of softwoods look like it was made out of oak or other hardwood. This tradition was carried on in the German migration to Australia. Furniture made in the Barossa Valley near Adelaide tended to be made from Baltic Pine (imported from the North of Europe) and painted or, more rarely, stained to look like oak or mahogany. Some of the German cabinetmakers experimented with Australian hardwoods, and many of the pieces that can be traced to their family furniture used native woods, but the work for customers was much more often Baltic Pine and paint. The customers undoubtedly dictated what they wanted!