Bridge City block plane vs Lee Valley NX90 block plane

Martin-IT

Hi,

anyone has used any of these tool plane ? both are very pricey, but Bridge City tool keep having 'flash sale'.

Lee Valley are made in Canada, while Bridge City tool are made in China.

I bought their multi-tool, the finishing is impressive....but at that price, you would not expect otherwise.

Woodpecker have some tools made in the US, but I am not sure if all of them are or not.

Anyone has experience with either of them ?

I'm less concerned with where they are made but what their quality is. BCTW has made some very high quality products. I have not purchased from them since the ownership change but from my research it points to the new owner being committed to the same high quality. The new owner is Chinese so I'm sure he understands manufacturing in his country and what is required to get top notch quality control and from what I've heard he is accomplishing his goal.

All of the brands you have mentioned are on the top end of quality. Any of the tools would be great tools that would last a lifetime. Pick based off style, price, and your mood and you won't be disappointed. Don't forget Lie Nielsen, Made in Maine.

I favor steel (or bronze) over aluminum for my planes and marking/measuring tools. That's the reason why I was never tempted by those BCTW planes and most of the Woodpecker stuff. Lie Nielsen and Starrett are my favorites. That said some BCTW planes have become reasonably priced and they look really nice!

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 7:48 AM, Chestnut said:

I'm less concerned with where they are made but what their quality is. BCTW has made some very high quality products. I have not purchased from them since the ownership change but from my research it points to the new owner being committed to the same high quality. The new owner is Chinese so I'm sure he understands manufacturing in his country and what is required to get top notch quality control and from what I've heard he is accomplishing his goal.

Also if I recall the original owner of BCTW is still connected in someway.  I have a miter gauge that I purchased from Harvey Tools, the parent company of BCTW and I can tell you that the miter gauge is a well thought out thing of beauty.  It looks and operates like it came from BCTW.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...