Mini Hay Wagon

rarefish383

I haven't been around in a while. I might have been working on this project when I was last here, but I couldn't find it. Not real high on the skill level, but I think it turned out well, and like it. It's more of a restoration project with some nice White Oak in it. A friend moved to FL and gave it to me. It's a 7'X3' CMC yard cart. it had black plywood sides and deck, and white wheels. I have several John Deere tractors, so I thought it would look good in JD colors. First thing I did is burn the old plywood deck and sides and take every piece apart.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Qz77gGG.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/jd9NZ7G.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/pCgGu7Z.jpg[/img]

Then starts the fun part. My Veterinarian/friend has a horse farm. It's fenced in with a 4 board, White Oak fence. Boards are rough cut 1"X6"X16' long. These boards are all 30 to 50 years old. I ran them through the planer till I took just the right amount of gray off, and got just the right amount of golden yellow coming through.

20200805_092609.jpg

20200805_123854.jpg

20200805_154224.jpg

• Like 2

Yes the saw runs, it's a 1968 Poulan Super 68, 82CC's, with a 31" bar and 1/2" chain. The chain has been obsolete for 30 years and sells for $1.50-$2.00 per LINK. I found an old dealer in WV that has 2, 100' rolls. He wouldn't sell me a roll, said I didn't have enough money. Then cut me a loop for $30. Next time I go by I'm going to see if he will cut me a loop for the 45" bar on my Homelite Super 1050, 100CC's. My Dad bought two of them brand new in the 70's. I still use this one for milling logs.

JD paint was 10 bucks a can, I think I bought 10 cans and still have a couple left over. Paint, new tires, and steel stringers, I'm right at $500 into it. My friend that gave it to me had it for 30 years and never knew it dumped. The trailer is still made and is about $700 new.

Plenty of projects. I make Blue Bird boxes out of short cut offs. Natural gray finish for outside use. Sanded and sealed for inside decoration. I also make L shaped shelves for displaying Lionel trains. Cut to length, Lionel track mounted to board. I used to be able to make the shelves to order up to 16'. But, my friend sold a 10 acre section of fenced property. the new owner wanted electric fence, and the guy putting it in said he would get rid of the old fence for $2000. They said NO, Doc wanted to keep all of the PT fence posts and any good boards for patching the rest of the fence around her 120 acres. Next day we came in and the fence guy took a chainsaw and cut all the boards 6" out form the posts, and cut all the posts off. Now I have a couple hundred 6 1/2' boards.

Here's a mortice and tenon bench I made many years ago with one of my favorite old saws. A collector offered me more money than I paid for my first 3 cars for it. So, it lives in Australia now.

20150108_085746.jpg

20180417_170523.jpg

• Like 2