cutting boards

curlyoak

On 1/14/2022 at 11:11 AM, Chestnut said:

The cross grain ends have never presented wood movement issues? I suppose in Florida when it's always 100% humidity the wood never changes moisture or size...

No it is only 100% in a hard rain. Borneo is 100%. This minute it is 67% and will be in the 50's this afternoon. We do have days 70 to 80%. But we also have AC. The cutting boards live inside at 50 to 60%. The boards are about 8 inches wide and there can be modest movement but not noticeable. Also my cutting board in my kitchen is washed like a plate. And still good. And titebond 3 creeps and allows wood movement. Got that from franklin engineers. Because of the benefit of "creep" the glue cannot be used in trusses or engineered beams by code. But perfect for woodwork.

The draw boards no glue I think is over used. The first titebond was in the 60's. The idea of creep was not known. And today still many don't know. Not that the draw board is bad, just not necessary. I called and spoke with an engineer about this and he said with kiln dried wood the glue will creep along with the wood. I use it in many applications. I have old furniture I have built with breadboard ends. All good. Even a 44" oak table. On bigger pieces the body of wood can extend past the rest by as much as 1/16". Frequently less. And then it moves back the other way. Based on the house humidity. In my house I have many examples of glued on end boards and never a problem.

• Like 1

The 100% humidity comment was a joke. Compared to our climate the air in Florida feels like a damp sponge, I don't get how people live down there. I suppose the same could be said for up here.

Jokes aside I don't know that glue creep would be enough up here. Humidity swings from 60%+ in the summer to as low as 10% in the winter. 8" wide is pretty small so it may work but I've had more than 1 panel crack or break the end off glued cross grain like that in my shop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2022 at 1:15 PM, Chestnut said:

Humidity swings from 60%+ in the summer to as low as 10% in the winter.

That tells me it is not how much humidity, But what is the spread between the highs and lows. Not good for Minnesota. 

On 1/14/2022 at 2:52 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I have a similar board that has barely moved enough to snag a fingernail

What kind of wood?

• Like 1