CRACKS IN FINISH ON DINING ROOM TABLE - REPAIR ADVICE NEEDED!

SANDMAN2

Dining room table developed hairline cracks in surface in many places and directions as shown in attached picture and looking for a way to repair them.  Not sure if it is an epoxy or very thick polyurethane on it that is cracked. Will I need to sand it all off and completely refinish or is there a way to fill these cracks, sand, repeat?  I heard of magic with superglue and sanding but would hate to try something and destroy the table or create more work.  Looking for help or recommendation for a rock star in Boston who can make the table right!

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 8.16.18 AM.jpg

Looks like cracks in epoxy to me.

It may be possible to get a thin superglue or something else to flow down into the cracks, assuming you can feel the cracks on the surface. This would make the cracks less visible, but then getting the surface smoothed and blended would be difficult without the right tools and experience. 

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will post and give their thoughts.

• Like 1

I agree with John. Epoxy cracks might need to ground out in a V shape, taking care to avoid hitting the wood. Since that looks like less than 1/8" of thickness, I might use a scraper to scoop out a wide, shallow trench, rather than a deep V cut.  Then refill with clear epoxy, using the typical methods to avoid bubbles.

This is something I would want to test on a scrap piece, first. And I would try John's CA glue suggestion before taking this drastic approach.

Can you post a photo of the table, to give us an idea of the amount of damage relative to the full surface? My concern is that if this cracking is in several places, it resulted from the table flexing. If that is true, the epoxy is perhaps not the appropriate finish for that application, and repairs will fail again.

Original poster here-thanks for the advice.  Cracks are random and as additional picture shows are throughout the table and mostly long in length but very thin.  Table has not been used much and came this way when purchased so I'm surprised it's failing this way.  Pricey dining room table so not sure I want to start pouring superglue in the cracks and becoming the sandman.  Rather have someone who has done this multiple times attack her.  Maybe someone can reco a person in the boston area?  Or if you've injected crack in the superglue and sanded and got great results - I'm game.  Total sand and re-epoxy sounds like a lot of work.

IMG_4371.jpg

• Like 1