Heat resistant Food Safe Finish for for a serving platter

Eric757

I'm carving out a 360 degree live edge Cherry round to be used as a platter for the old Thanksgiving Turkey Or Christmas Ham.  Looking for the ideal finish. I hear Tongue oil & mineral oil for food. I like the idea of a heavy clear coat for cleaning it.  Just looking for the best finish for Food in combination with heat. Suggestions?

I’ve switched from mineral oil to Osmo Polyx for my wood cutting boards and utensils. The utensils seem to hold up fine in boiling water, and I use the cutting boards as trivets when we are baking things. The polyx has also held up better in the dishwasher than mineral oil (put in the dishwasher by someone else!).

I have a friend that has been using a coconut oil & beeswax blend that looks and feels wonderfull, if you like a matte finish. Of course, he keeps his own bees, so that influences him a bit. He also sells a slightly heavier ratio of coconut / beeswax blend, with drop of peppermint oil, as lip balm, and it works quite well.

Is someone going to be carving the turkey/roast on the platter ever? If so a film might not be preferred.

I use Howards butcher block (mineral oil, beeswax, carnauba wax) on all my wooden kitchen stuff. It handles heat (I'll drop food right from the grill or pans out of the oven onto a cutting board) and moisture (including getting left in the sink for a couple hours) without complaint, but it does need to be re-applied pretty frequently.