Exposed To The Elements

Coop

I am replacing a small, 22” x 22” table that sits outside year round, next to a couple of Adirondack chairs. The cypress chairs and table are all about 8-10 years old.

The top of the table was made with slats and breadboard ends. The area around the dowels that pined the slats to the bb ends and the dowels, finely gave way. 

Does anyone have a theory, hunch or real life experience as to whether a slated top will outlast a solid one, exposed to the weather. Although I can’t gripe about the life I got from the old one, the solid top would certainly be easier to build. And now, having the Domino, I could use it to attach the slats to the bb ends. The new table will have a Western red cedar top with cypress legs and aprons. 

The theory behind slatted outdoor furniture, is that each slat will have minimal movement and lots of space to move. If you plan for movement, you can have a decent amount of success. I would caution against permanent horizontal placement. I’d hinge the top so that it could rest vertically if you make it solid. 

• Like 1