Fixing a BOSS

collinb

My Delta BOSS spindle sander was acquired used. Last time I powered it up it ran slow. Oscillation was good but the speed, not so much.

Is it much trouble to tear into a motor like that (I've fixed a lot of things but have not opened a motor before) or is one better off ditching it?

Press-fit bearings would be pain to deal with.

It has an induction motor, so no brushes. It's running so it's not likely start winding or switch issues, if it even has them. That leaves the bearings. Does the overload trip out after a while? If it is running slow there would be an overload condition. If it needs Delta specific parts, chances aren't great that they'll be available.

On 4/19/2022 at 9:44 AM, drzaius said:

It has an induction motor, so no brushes. It's running so it's not likely start winding or switch issues, if it even has them. That leaves the bearings. Does the overload trip out after a while? If it is running slow there would be an overload condition. If it needs Delta specific parts, chances aren't great that they'll be available.

On 4/19/2022 at 1:21 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Looks like the same motor drives the cam action for oscillation as drives the spindle. Any chance the spindle end of the motor shaft is slipping on the actual spindle?

It runs for a few seconds then slows down. Oscillation works just fine.

The motor is not available. Even if it were that would be the price of a good used unit.

I've decided to pick up a good used one tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 1