Dust Detector Adventures

Chestnut

I was also shocked at how high the particle count can get, yet still see no dust in the air. Sweeping is definitely the worst activity for dust. I've taken to using the vacuum rather than the broom.

I'm going to do some kitchen testing like you did. I want to see how effective the hood exhaust is. It doesn't have the fan in the hood, but on the exterior wall, so it isn't terribly noise, but moves a lot of air.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting your observations. I'm excited to get mine in and see the results. Mine is somewhere between China and the East Coast. Not sure if it made it out of China before the lockdowns started.

Knowing what you now know about hand sanding what, if anything, are you going to do differently? Also, could you share what Matthias has been doing? I checked his YouTube channel but don't see anything on it.

I am going to build a sort of exhaust hood above my workbench, where I do almost all sanding, and run an 8" duct to it. After I do that I'll run comparisons and post them. Don't hold your breath on that though :) My to do list has many things ahead of that.

13 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Knowing what you now know about hand sanding what, if anything, are you going to do differently? Also, could you share what Matthias has been doing? I checked his YouTube channel but don't see anything on it.

For me with hand sanding it's as easy as running my cyclone. My collector has a hepa filter and with 2 gates open can turn over my shop in a small amount of time. The other thing is to remove the saw dust with my hepa CT Vac instead of blasting it around the shop with compressed air.

Matthia's videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDZ9yUdM2wA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iun3jRUMiA

On 5/4/2022 at 12:09 PM, drzaius said:

I was also shocked at how high the particle count can get, yet still see no dust in the air. Sweeping is definitely the worst activity for dust. I've taken to using the vacuum rather than the broom.

+1