Older Craftsman 6 1/8” jointer/planer switch

JMG_8

I recently bought an older (90’s I believe) craftsman 6 1/8” jointer planer for $50. It obviously needs some work, but I’m having trouble finding some parts, specifically the starter switch. The part was discontinued, anyone have any advice on where I could find one or a suitable replacement? 

Is it like this one?

https://i0.wp.com/www.boggsequipment.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Craftsman-6-18in-JointerPlaner-061621090612_0971.jpg?fit=900%2C600&ssl=1

I assume you mean the safety switch on the front. Most of these kind of switches are universal/interchangeable, so you should be able to stick something like this in. Personally I tend to replace this style of switch on my older machines with paddle switches anyways for a little extra safety.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 11:38 AM, BonPacific said:

Is it like this one?

https://i0.wp.com/www.boggsequipment.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Craftsman-6-18in-JointerPlaner-061621090612_0971.jpg?fit=900%2C600&ssl=1

I assume you mean the safety switch on the front. Most of these kind of switches are universal/interchangeable, so you should be able to stick something like this in. Personally I tend to replace this style of switch on my older machines with paddle switches anyways for a little extra safety.

Not exactly the same, yours may be newer. Again, it clearly needs some TLC and has a few missing parts (safety switch and belt being the two big ones.) I appreciate the links for the switches, I’ll definitely being using one of them. Thank you!

image.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2022 at 10:15 AM, gee-dub said:

I would be inclined to add a new paddle switch onto the stand you use for it.  It is nice to have the "stop" paddle where you can easily nudge it with your knee or leg.  I did this for several tools whether modifying the factory switch or adding my own.

The point being that small toggle switches can be a bit awkward to get to if things go sideways.  If you are jointing a board and something goes wrong, releasing the material to reach for the switch is probably not the best option. :)

I would add to this that magnetic switches are good. These assure that if the machine goes off due to a power outage, it doesn't come back on after the power returns.

https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71054-Magnetic-Paddle-Switch/dp/B01IEM2DSM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=16ZJ8BUMP91TU&keywords=magnetic+paddle+switch&qid=1657743228&sprefix=magnetic+paddle+%2Caps%2C144&sr=8-3

• Like 1