Bench Dog #4 Smoothing Plane

Steve Diesel

Was trying to look through the backlog to see if these have been discussed, but it's not letting me get off the first page of this topic, so....

Has anyone had any experience with the Bench Dog planes, especially the #4 smoothing plane or jack plane? I'm looking into one as a general purpose plane as well as a block plane for use on the road, and don't have the budget currently for the upper brands, but also don't want to go with duds from Harbor Freight or the box stores. Also, any thoughts on their chisels? Mainly I wanna know how much work I'll be doing to tune these, and if they hold a good edge for a reasonably decent period of time

• Like 1

Driver.  Try Ebay, you can pick up a decent #4 from Stanley at a reasonable price, you might have to spend a little time cleaning and sharpening, and setting it up, but it won't break the bank. And it'll give you some experience in how to make it do what you want. Patience is the clue in working wood.

• Like 1

Driver.  Try Ebay, you can pick up a decent #4 from Stanley at a reasonable price, you might have to spend a little time cleaning and sharpening, and setting it up, but it won't break the bank. And it'll give you some experience in how to make it do what you want. Patience is the clue in working wood.
I had considered that idea, but due to the very limited time I have to do things outside of work, I'm looking for as close to working "out of the box" as I can get. Looks like Wood River is a solid option for not much more. As far as learning to tune planes, I recently cut my teeth on a cheap Dreyco #6, which consumed an entire weekend. Got it to decent but still not impressed with it as the steel in the iron just plain sucks and holds an edge like a piece of tin foil

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have applied the 60% rule to things for many years.  If a version of something that will "get me by" is 60% of the cost of a "good" one I just save a little longer and get the "good" one.  The pain of the price is quickly lost in the joy of using a quality tool.  Even quality planes can require some setup out of the box but something like a Veritas will be pretty darn close for $70 more than the Bench Dog.  That being said, both of my #4 size planes are Millers Falls.  I popped a Veritas PM-v11 iron in each and never looked back.  Saved about $100 per plane by using a quality used body and an after-market cap iron and blade.

• Like 2

Fwiw I started with a Woodriver #5 several years ago and while I now have probably 2-3 dozen planes from Lee Nielsen, Veritas, etc I still love that WR plane and hold it as one of my favorites. If you can go to a store where you can try them and get what feels good and performs how you would like for the cost you want to spend. I find hand planes to be a very personal decision so get what feels good! I know many like low angle planes I have tried three, sold two, and would sell the last one if I had the opportunity I much prefer to be able to adjust the blade while planing over any benefit the blade angle provides. Again its just a very personal thing so get what works for you!

• Like 2

Fwiw I started with a Woodriver #5 several years ago and while I now have probably 2-3 dozen planes from Lee Nielsen, Veritas, etc I still love that WR plane and hold it as one of my favorites. If you can go to a store where you can try them and get what feels good and performs how you would like for the cost you want to spend. I find hand planes to be a very personal decision so get what feels good! I know many like low angle planes I have tried three, sold two, and would sell the last one if I had the opportunity I much prefer to be able to adjust the blade while planing over any benefit the blade angle provides. Again its just a very personal thing so get what works for you!
Thanks for this! Definitely eyeing that #5, and the reviews I've seen mostly rave over it, so unless I can finesse the extra amount for a Veritas this is probably the route I'm gonna go

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 5:51 AM, Steve Diesel said:

I had considered that idea, but due to the very limited time I have to do things outside of work, I'm looking for as close to working "out of the box" as I can get. Looks like Wood River is a solid option for not much more. As far as learning to tune planes, I recently cut my teeth on a cheap Dreyco #6, which consumed an entire weekend. Got it to decent but still not impressed with it as the steel in the iron just plain sucks and holds an edge like a piece of tin foil

What are you using for sharpening? Later  today I plan on sending you a PM.

Steve, if I remember correctly, you're currently in the DFW area.
I have an old Stanley Bailey #5 that I would be willing to donate to you if you'll meet me in the Arlington area. 
It's in good shape and will only need to be sharpened.
Yes, I live out a bit east of Dallas. I'm not currently accepting donations, but I'd be happy to give you a fair price for it

• 3 weeks later...