Gun Stocks?

I have several slabs of Black Walnut I milled about ten years ago. There is some pretty crotch wood. The thing is, I've seen crotch wood chip, flake or just come apart between lines. Is there a way to stabilize and strengthen this week point?  I want a hand rubbed oil finish. I don't want a shiny plastic finish like on 70's and 80's rifles. Here's a couple pieces. I have 3 more to plane tomorrow. Thanks Joe.

20230620_153443[1].jpg

20230616_114436[1].jpg

20230616_114454[1].jpg

• Like 2

Sort of impregnating the wood with resin under vacuum, I don't know of a way to really ensure that wild crotch grain won't fail under stress, it is just the nature of the beast. However, I've seen a lot of pieces turned from such stabilized material, and it looks pretty dang good, plastic or no.

• Like 1

This stabilizer is a brush on product that does not require a vacuum.  I use it, both with and without a vacuum chamber.  I have no long term experience with it, and just have to believe it works.  Minwax wood hardener is a another, but it does not seem to penetrate very well.  Neither product will affect your finish. 

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll start looking up wood impregnators and how to do's. I've had pieces of crotch like the first pic just shatter when it hit the planer. I had some last year that I sanded down to 1000 grit and it was amazing how that wood felt. I hope to try that on one of these. I still have 3 more to run through the planer and see what they look like inside?

• Like 1