Problem with Walnut veneer

Chris1979

https://www.reddit.com/r/cabinetry/comments/14zu876/walnut_veneer_whats_causing_the_white_marks/

Hi, I couldn't figure out how to include a photo in this post. I am looking for some help. I had cabinets installed in my kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. There randomly have the white marks. Any idea what these are? Can it be fixed? Will it get worse?

Thanks

Kitchen and bath cabinets generally have a thick film finish like a lacquer.  That looks like dust or cleaning agent in pores that should have been sealed and filled in by the film finish.  Were these sold as kitchen cabinets or are they something else that has been used in the kitchen?  Open pores, nooks, and crannies will collect cooking oils, residue, and grease and are no fun to try to keep clean.

I agree with @gee-dub, that LOOKS like smutz in the pores of the wood. However, I once experienced a failure of wood pore filler that caused it to fade, and look somewhat similar. In either case, I don't know how to fix it, short of strip and refinish.

BTW, after you make a couple more posts, you should find an 'Add files' button below the editor window. That will allow you to embed .jpg or .pdf files, but it is hidden from new members until they contribute a bit to the conversation.

On 7/15/2023 at 12:38 PM, Chris1979 said:

They are only a few months old. I also have them in the bedroom and the same thing is happening. 

So I guess the next question is what was the source of these cabinets?  Your own?  A pro?  Pre-made?  I am just trying to determine if the surface prep of this material was for a different purpose.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2023 at 12:33 AM, Chris1979 said:

It's difficult to determine the issue without seeing the photo. The white marks on the cabinets might be due to various factors, such as moisture or finish problems. To get accurate advice, consider consulting a professional or sharing the photo on relevant forums to receive proper assistance and guidance.

• Confused 1