Walnut finish

Badltl510

This is my first large furniture project. Its a walnut dinning room table and I'm looking for the finish. What's everyone's go to finish for a table and would you recommend pore filling? If pore filling what's everyone's recommendations on that as well? I know this has been talked about on the show numerous times but finishing is not my thing so hard to keep it all straight in my head.

• Like 2

Welcome, @Badltl510! Please, feel free to share some photos of your work, we all enjoy seeing what others turn out.

As for a dining table finish, I suggest an oil-based polyurathane for durabilty and ease of application, especially the wipe-on varieties. My go-to finish for my last several projects has been Minwax 'Tung Oil Finish'. It is a wipe-on oil / poly blend that penetrates well, and can build to a glossy sheen without looking too thick. There are plenty of good options, that happens to be my current favorite.

As for pore filling, I personally don't feel it is needed on walnut, unless you want a mirror-smooth surface, like with a french polish. If you choose to fill, I favor a clear product like Aquacoat or Crystalac.

• Like 1

I plan on building us a king size bed in the near future to replace our existing queen. The reason to build instead of buy as the mfg no longer offers this style. We plan on keeping the dresser and night stand and would like to match the existing walnut finish. I guess my question is, once I match the shade with the tint thru trial and error, can I be assured that the color will reasonably remain the same?

I can only speak from my experience . . . I have pieces that are 10 years old that match their original photos pretty well. They do receive sunlight here and there throughout the week but none of them are setting right in front of a south facing window :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...