Wood finish for outdoor

Tracy

All I know about oils, wax, poly, etc is what I’ve read online and there’s a lot. I’m needing advise from someone who works with the stuff.

I built a game where you roll a wheel. The wooden rod rolls along two wood beams. I finished it with polyurethane. It works fine until it’s been in the sun for awhile then the wheel will spin in one place and not roll. It’s like the sun heats up the poly and makes it slick.. I do not have this problem when it’s indoors. Is there something I could finish the wood with to prevent this from happening outdoors in the sun? I have some other games too, I would like them all to be finished the same. Ideally non glossy, non yellowing natural wood look if possible.

Any suggestions will help!

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like you're experiencing some issues with your polyurethane finish becoming slick in the sun. To maintain a natural wood look without the slickness, you might consider using a marine-grade spar varnish. These varnishes are designed to withstand outdoor conditions, including sun exposure, and provide a durable finish with a more matte appearance. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper application and maintenance.

• Like 1