Acoustic guitar - Build #2

difalkner

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took the opportunity to use the CNC for a small piece on the guitar, cutting the neck block extension to support the fingerboard and also cutting the neck block itself after it was already glued to the rim (guitar sides).  There was a bit of risk in doing this because I only had one shot at getting the neck block right or I would've had to do some serious recovery to fix any mistakes.  

image.thumb.jpeg.e06cbc8c20f0abfc19af7e80c7193418.jpeg

• Like 2

One more for today, and this one is a video I had not planned to make but it became necessary when I turned the lights out (glare angle) and saw how badly the top was dented.  If you've ever steamed dents out then this is old news to you but if you've never seen this then maybe it will help you.  Unfortunately, I've had to do this many, many times!  

image.thumb.jpeg.89c567a6792e8d4769868f59e433c8cb.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 6:55 PM, Coop said:

David, definitely a tip for me. I’ve heard of this being done but never seen it. Super simple, thanks for sharing. You mentioned the spruce being soft. Is there a reason you use this type of wood, sound quality maybe? 

Thanks, Coop, glad it could help.  I actually did a video on this years ago and it's somewhere on my YouTube channel.

Yes, the Spruce is soft but its strength to weight ratio is amazing.  Plus, it definitely sounds good; probably 75% of all acoustic guitars have a Spruce top of some flavor - Lutz, Sitka, Engelman, German, Moon, Adirondack, etc.  Spruce has a good 'attack' when the strings are plucked but Redwood and WRC both sound a bit more mellow initially (Spruce catches up after a few years.

Most pianos have Spruce soundboards, as well, and largely for the same reasons we use that on guitars.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Thank you!  Yes, recovery is ahead of the curve according to my doctor.  It isn't happening as quickly as I want but I don't guess I can rush this process.

Working in the shop is good, even though it's small projects.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2024 at 8:48 PM, Coop said:

David, sorry to hear about the necessary surgery but darn glad to hear that it was successful!

What kind of glue are you using that required the heat gun? 

Thanks, Coop.  Yeah, we've known about it for a while and finally decided to go ahead and take care of it by having my prostate removed.  The good news is he got everything; the pathology report said the margins were clear and my follow-up lab work last week showed my PSA to be 0.000 and I'll take that all day long!

The heat gun was for using hot hide glue that I mixed from granules, 192 gram strength (higher the number the stronger the glue and the quicker it sets up).  The 192 is most commonly used in Lutherie work - it's very strong and gives you just enough time before it sets up.  So heating the wood gives a little extra time before it sets up. 

This was a pretty simple glue-up and the heat gun probably wasn't necessary.  However, the last time I used hide glue and posted a video to a Luthier group on FB, some builder in Europe raked me across the coals for not preheating the wood.  He was right, to a point, but I did preheat the wood only I didn't show it in the video.  So this time I showed it so I didn't get flamed again. :D

• Like 2