Square With Marking Holes

roughsawn

On 12/5/2023 at 11:03 PM, roughsawn said:

Do you guys know who makes a square or triangle square, that has marking holes that will fit a #7 mechanical pencil?

I keep buying different ones for a #5 mechanical pencil. but between breaking the lead, and lead wearing away so fast, I'm not happy with them.

On Amazon there's 2 that might fit the bill:

Company called "Thorvald" 

https://a.co/d/fn96sFg

And

"Neitra Small Square Ruler with Fixed Angle Pin"

https://a.co/d/7v7WvDu

Aside from that, Incra has a line of layout tools that have holes for pencils, not sure about what size leads will fit though. 

--Doug

The .5mm lead is obviously looking for high accuracy like the Incra rules.  I agree that the delicate touch required to use them is not right for all things I might do.  A hole that is too large can allow inaccuracy if the lead does not match well.  Many operations do not require that level or accuracy.  When looking at the squares the thick ones can be eye-catching but will require a long lead and therefor lead to the problems you are having even with a .7mm lead.  Look for the thinnest plate you think will be reliable for your use. Something like the Empire or Milwaukee squares at Home Depot that use notches instead of holes are more versatile but may not suit your use case.  All just food for thought.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up with this one. And like the fct that I can use my regular .9mm mechanical without having to get a different pencil. I've already used it quite a bit...and it has it's own little pocket in my apron...lol  The baseplate with the 1/4" and 3/8" offsets are handy for marking screw locations.

https://www.amazon.com/TOOMOD-Carpenters-Mechanical-Woodworking-Making(Blue)/dp/B0CN8YW547/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1T7484PI04MVV&keywords=toomod%2Bcarpenters%2Bsquare&qid=1703306457&s=industrial&sprefix=toomod%2Bcarpenters%2Bsquare%2Cindustrial%2C166&sr=1-4&th=1

This one would be just as good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BM8WCYH7/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=AMN5PHR43R9WA&th=1

This brings a question to mind, as I don't posses one of this type marking device. Are the holes located directly on a measuring mark, or to one side? If directly on the mark, how do you address the cutline for accuracy? Take the line, leave the line, or try to split the line? Splitting the line seems like the most faithful way to cut to the desired measurement, but for me is difficult to do consistently.

On 12/23/2023 at 6:35 AM, wtnhighlander said:

how do you address the cutline for accuracy?

Being a round hole with a round lead there will always be some amount of deviation unless the lead fits in like a plug in a socket.  It is just a more convenient method than holding a pencil next to the edge of a combo square or running one down the side of a rule.  Granted a .9mm lead leaves a wide line when compared to a .5mm lead but . . . that is getting pretty granular in our world. 

For me it is a balance of something like the Incra rules using the rather delicate .5mm leads and getting a really fine line or using a .9mm lead and not snapping it off so often.  I have .5mm for my Incra rules, .7mm in my apron for for my general use, and .9mm stuck to magnets on almost every machine for quick not-so-fine marking tasks.  I also keep a few of these beasts around for marking rough material; one of these is also in my apron.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 8:35 AM, wtnhighlander said:

This brings a question to mind, as I don't posses one of this type marking device. Are the holes located directly on a measuring mark, or to one side? If directly on the mark, how do you address the cutline for accuracy? Take the line, leave the line, or try to split the line? Splitting the line seems like the most faithful way to cut to the desired measurement, but for me is difficult to do consistently.

I'm not that accurate, I'm a hacker. If I get it close enough to inside or on the line, I'm happy.:lol:

• Haha 1