Restaining a Dresser Top

I’m looking to restain the top of an older dresser (~20 years old) and I’m debating whether or not I remove the top or just restain with it connected to the dresser. The top appears to be solid wood, no veneer, and is a golden oak color while the rest of the dresser is a distressed white. Removing the top is more appealing because it’s a heavy dresser and I’d rather not lug it downstairs and into the garage, and I don’t want to damage the parts of the dresser I’m not restaining. However, I’m afraid of possibility damaging other parts of the dresser when removing the top, stripping out screw holes, and any other possible consequences of removing the top. Does anyone have any suggestions on which approach to take? Should I remove the top to restain it or restain it while it’s still connected to the dresser? Thank you. 

• Like 1

Stripped screw holes can be refilled with a dowel. Unless you have some concern more insurmountable, I would at least try removing it. Go slowly when removing it and take photos so you remember how it goes back together :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To possibly state the obvious, a big concern is sanding through the veneer. If you have removed the top, the bottom of it now becomes your best friend as a place to experiment. I would try some sort of remover on a small area of the bottom and see how it goes first. If that doesn't work, try sanding (again, on the bottom first).