Square accent plug chisel

I got the latest Rockler catalog, and noticed that they have a square cutting chisel for cutting square holes for A&C/G&G plugs. Basically a copy of the tools that Darrell Peart designed sold by Lee Valley, only a little cheaper looking. The cheesiest part, aside from the blatant ripoff, are the molded plastic faux-ebony plugs to go in the holes. Not to mention, they didn't cut the holes deep enough for the pic in the ad, so they don't sit all the way in the hole.

Really classy.

I got the latest Rockler catalog, and noticed that they have a square cutting chisel for cutting square holes for A&C/G&G plugs. Basically a copy of the tools that Darrell Peart designed sold by Lee Valley, only a little cheaper looking. The cheesiest part, aside from the blatant ripoff, are the molded plastic faux-ebony plugs to go in the holes. Not to mention, they didn't cut the holes deep enough for the pic in the ad, so they don't sit all the way in the hole.

Really classy.

Looks like they just took a chisel from a hollow chisel mortiser and attached a handle to it. You're right - cheese factor 10.

I bought one of Darrell's original square punches and then bought additional sizes through Lee Valley -- very nice tool.

I viewed the video on Rocker site. It was incorrectly stated the the ebony plugs were used as mortise pins. Actually I believe most ( if not all) were decorative only.

I can't believe Rockler will actually resell these things.. My opinion of Rocker just went down a notch.