Jointer/Planer/Bandsaw for beginner

oaksurf65

Thanks for any reply. I can tell from my first few projects that I'm going to want to be doing a lot of woodworking. Along with that is using as much wood as I can and paying as little as I can for the wood. With that in mind I'd like to hear suggestions as to what Jointer/Planer/Bandsaw brands would be best for a beginner. Do I buy the cheaper brands cause I'm going to screw up stuff in the beginning? Or do I get the more expensive ones knowing I'm going to be doing it for the long run?

Wassup Oaksurf!

I hope it's safe to assume that you surf! That's great, I do too. Are you making wooden surfboards? Anyway, I really don't have an answer to your question, but I think if you could explain what type of woodwork you plan on doing then it could help. If you are making surfboards, I've made mine using a Delta 6' Planer (bought used, and kinda crooked), Dewalt Portable Planer, and a big bandsaw for resawing. I'm sure the pro's will chime in with better suggestions then me, hope you find your answer

I wouldn't buy low cost tools just because you are concerned you are going to mess them up. In fact you are more likely to have issues, with frustration, with an inexpensive tool vs its higher dollar counter part. My recommendation is by the best tools you can afford. It may not be a bad idea to buy the tools spread over a period of time, which will allow you time to save up for the better machine. I would recommend to by the bandsaw first, jointer next, and finally the planer.

One place to look is grizzly.com. I recently bought one of their 14" bandsaws and have been very happy with it.

From my experience I always regret buying a cheap tool, seldom regret buying a med-range tool and never regret buying a top of the line tool. Just seems you get what you pay for. Go for one good tool vs two cheap tools everytime for your basic shop tools. Buy the best you can afford, they will last a very long time.

Jim

I agree with everything that has been said here so far. Save up and buy the best that you can. For years I bought "cheaper" tools such as the Craftsman line, and while there is nothing wrong with these tools for the occasional user, I have found that they are not as powerful or precise as the higher-end tools. Over the past year I have been slowly replacing items such as routers and saws and have found that the quality of the tools is much higher. So not only did I purchase the cheaper tool, but I ended up buying the more expensive one later on. Honestly I always regret buying anything that is cheap.

Some things that I have done to reduce the cost of tools is to keep an eye out daily for items on Craigslist. I have found some incredible deals on tools, saving a lot of money over the years by buying tools on Craigslist that are "like-new". For example, I bought my DeWalt 618 router kit with the plunge base, fixed base and case for $160. The gentleman had bought it brand new and never used it. I also recently bought my DeWalt 735 planer outfeed/infeed tables, that had been barely used for $400. The key is to keep an eye out because the good condition tools tend to go pretty quick.

I wouldn't buy low cost tools just because you are concerned you are going to mess them up. In fact you are more likely to have issues, with frustration, with an inexpensive tool vs its higher dollar counter part. My recommendation is by the best tools you can afford. It may not be a bad idea to buy the tools spread over a period of time, which will allow you time to save up for the better machine. I would recommend to by the bandsaw first, jointer next, and finally the planer.

One place to look is grizzly.com. I recently bought one of their 14" bandsaws and have been very happy with it.

I agree with most of this, but I would get those tools in a different order. If you are trying to get to the point that you can surface your own boards and save money that way, then I would get the planer first. You can make a planer sled used for jointing the first face of a board, then you can plane the second face to get to flat and parallel faces. You could use a router and straight edge to joint your first edge after that, and the TS for the last edge. Then I would maybe get the BS, then the jointer. Just depends on if you get tired of edge jointing boards with a router. But me personally, would get them planer, jointer then bandsaw..

If you're on a really tight budget, consider buying used machinery. That's how I picked up most of the machines in my shop. And if you are able to find woodworking machinery made in the 1940's-60's, you'll find machines that are built more sturdily than many of the offerings today for cheaper.

You'll have to be prepared to apply some elbow grease to get these machines tuned up, of course, but it's not as hard as you might think. I was able to take a 1940's Walker-Turner bandsaw, disassemble the drive components, clean them, replace the bearings, and reassemble everything without too much problem. And I don't think I'm some sort of mechanical genius. My day job is being a pediatric oncologist.

Grizzly offers great value. They aren't crappy tools and even offer some of the best tools at certain price points! Dewalt makes a couple of great planers!

If I was just starting and was looking at those three tools I would do this:

Grizzly bandsaw 14" or 19" (depending on wiring and size of shop.) (http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=420000)

Dewalt DW735 lunchbox planer

And I would just joint by hand with a #5 and a #7 or #8. (I still joint by hand)

If you insist on the power jointer I would personally buy this one G0656PX (http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-x-72-Jointer-with-Spiral-Cutterhead-and-Mobile-Base-Polar-Bear-Series-/G0656PX)... If you have the room. I would certainly go with an 8" wide jointer.... from what I hear almost everyone that goes with a 6" regrets it later.

Grizzly also has a new Combo Jointer/Planer with a spiral cutter-head that looks interesting. I've yet to hear from many people that have gotten it yet though. So no experience:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Planer-Jointer-with-Spiral-Polar-Bear-Series-/G0634XP

Buy decent quality tools is my vote. If you take what you are going to spend on tools and either go for the one big tool at a time deal or two if you can afford them. The mid range stuff is good enough to start for sure do the research and ask here for anyone who has the same tool already. Also look at used stuff You might be able to get an old makita jointer planer combo that has it's ups and downs too of course but might get you better quality for less.

I don't know your budget or space requirements, but a thousandish seems a nice round number.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-1-HP-Bandsaw-Polar-Bear-Series-/G0555P

Bandsaw with an optional upgrade. Riser block will take your cutting capacity for 6" to 12" if you get into resawing.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-46-Jointer/G0654

Yea you want an eight or bigger but a budget is a budget, and we live in a real world.

planer

The DW735 is awesome, but the DW734 is cheaper.

Don't forget about used. I purchased an eight inch joiner off of craigslist two weeks ago for $250. Good deals do exist but you need to do your research.

Thanks for any reply. I can tell from my first few projects that I'm going to want to be doing a lot of woodworking. Along with that is using as much wood as I can and paying as little as I can for the wood. With that in mind I'd like to hear suggestions as to what Jointer/Planer/Bandsaw brands would be best for a beginner. Do I buy the cheaper brands cause I'm going to screw up stuff in the beginning? Or do I get the more expensive ones knowing I'm going to be doing it for the long run?

If you already know you're in this for the long haul. Buy the best you can afford. Save for what your want and don't purchase until you have enough money for it. But, don't think the "cheaper" brand is not good just because it's less expensive. I have a 12" Grizzly jointer that is an awesome machine.

There's some argument for a novice getting inexpensive tools:

1. If you are not sure that you are going to stay with it, and don't want to invest a lot of money.
  2. If you have a limited budget, and would rather get all the tools that you need for your first project, rather than waiting to get started until you've saved up more.
  3. If there are several different tools/model/options available and you don't know which one you want.
I started off with an inexpensive table saw, and using it helped me understand that I really wanted a table saw with a well designed fence, standard size miter slot, riving knife and blade guard. But I wasn't willing to pay more for a large table, cast iron, and a really powerful motor. Before I used the inexpensive saw I didn't know which features were worth several hundred dollars to me and which weren't. I don't think it was a mistake for me to start with an inexpensive saw.

It's not obvious, but an experienced woodworker may have the skill and experience to judge the quality of a used tool and get it tuned up, or do good quality work with a poor tool. An inexperienced woodworker won't know whether the problems are the tool's fault or their own, and may just get frustrated. So, that's a reason for a novice to buy a high quality tool.

I recommend against getting a lot of tools at once. It takes time to set up a tool, tune it up, and learn how to use it. It's also fun. But, if I have too many to do at once it can be frustrating. It's like a kid who gets too many toys at Christmas, and never gets around to playing with some of them. If they were given one at a time over the year, each one would be exciting and appreciated.

Thanks for all the responses. I would like to be able to make my own surfboard someday, but think I'll tackle some other projects before then. As far as budget I have about a $1,000 to spend right now. It seems as if I should get the planer and the bandsaw right now and leave the jointer for when I have more money. So for the planer the Dewalt 735 and the grizzly bandsaw. I'll start looking for used and reconditioned and try to get a good deal.

Look on craigslist for a 6" jointer around $200 or less, there are a ton there with little use as others that started with the 6" size upgrade. Far fewer 8" machines. You are unlikely to find a decent bandsaw but you might see a smaller one for dirt cheap that could be worth a chance, something like a 12" for a hundred or less. Planer you should buy new I think, lots of parts to wear and they get used a lot so go new for that one. Later you can grab a bigger jointer and first class bandsaw without regretting what you spent on your first tools.