Another Outdoor Finish Question

CubsFan

I have an outdoor project that I need to finish. It's made of white oak and purpleheart. I'm planning to use a couple of coats of General Finishes Outdoor Oil on it, but I was wondering if it would be worth it to put a coat or two of Arm-R-Seal on first. I'm not sure if that would give it a better overall appearance, or if it wouldn't make too much of a difference.

Thanks!

The purpleheart will need a lot of UV protection to keep from ending up grey. Once grey, you have to sand away the top surface to reveal the fresh purple.

In rereading what you posted, you mention putting Arm-R-Seal on first. I think you'd want the Outdoor Oil on first so it soaks in and does the most good. The Arm-R-Seal can be applied over that as a final protective layer. If you want that extra varnish layer, I'd switch to Epifanes that Marc's talked about. I've used it on several outdoor projects here in Arizona and it handles the sun beautifully. It's a varnish made for marine use. You'll want to thin it before application regardless what the VOC-compliance instructions state (cuz it is molasses).

I don't have first hand experience with purpleheart, but I'm thinking it's one of those woods that could bleed into other woods. You may be ok with the oak, I just don't know. :huh: So perhaps someone with purpleheart experience can describe more. Make sure the purpleheart "dust" is completely cleaned off. I'm thinking a seal-coat of shellac first to help with the bleed?

-Ace-

Purpleheart can definitely bleed, but it doesn't happen all the time. A light coat of shellac is a great precaution. As for the finish, I wouldn't recommend messing with Arm-R-Seal at all. Outdoor Oil looks to be an oil/varnish blend. So putting that over a surface that's been sealed with Arm-R-Seal is going to give you issues with curing. I also wouldn't put the Arm-R-Seal over the Outdoor Oil as that negates the purpose of using the Outdoor Oil to a large degree. You want the stuff formulated for outdoors being the first thing the weather confronts. So if you are looking for more protection than what the Outdoor Oil offers, Paul's recommendation of Epifanes is a great one. If you want to get fancy and make a compromise, maybe try spiking your outdoor oil with some Epifanes. But ultimately, if you are looking for as much protection as possible and you don't mind a film finish, I say skip the Outdoor Oil, skip the Arm-R-Seal, and get yourself a can of Epifanes. The first few coats are thinned so you get deep absorption and you can build as many coats as you like.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting. It looks like Epifanes lasts up to three years. I bet its a bear to sand off and refinish.

I built an outdoor bench and used tongue oil with marine spar varnish on top. I got two years out of it and now the bench looks like a shedding lizard. I'll have to sand and refinish it in the spring. :angry:

If anyone has experience refinishing Epifanes I'd like to hear about it.

• 4 months later...

I have an outdoor project that I need to finish. It's made of white oak and purpleheart. I'm planning to use a couple of coats of General Finishes Outdoor Oil on it, but I was wondering if it would be worth it to put a coat or two of Arm-R-Seal on first. I'm not sure if that would give it a better overall appearance, or if it wouldn't make too much of a difference.

Thanks!

Look at Epifanes. Some magazine did a two year test on a bunch of outdoor finishes a year or so back and it is the only one that passed. I haven't had occasion to use it yet, but I intend to at first opportunity..

Interesting. It looks like Epifanes lasts up to three years. I bet its a bear to sand off and refinish.

I built an outdoor bench and used tongue oil with marine spar varnish on top. I got two years out of it and now the bench looks like a shedding lizard. I'll have to sand and refinish it in the spring. :angry:

If anyone has experience refinishing Epifanes I'd like to hear about it.

Tongue oil?