Planing Burl

sbarton22

I just landed a sweet piece of maple burl. I'm so excited to do something with it. Now, with that said, I don't really know how to approach it. Can I run it through the planer? Which way is uphill or downhill? Should I treat it more like end grain?

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

I'd use my band saw and then my planer, but it is a straight knife planer, (not helical)or my jointer. If I am making an end grain cutting board, I wouldn't put that in the planer, so I would use an array of sanders/grits to get me there.

I have a #4 plane, but I am a butcher with it. I need to practice with it, but I don't want to practice on a nice piece of burl.

What gives burl that swirling grain effect is just that - the grain is undulating in many different directions. So in many ways, it's not much different than that end-grain cutting board, as any time that grain swirls upward, you're basically getting patches of end grain. So the planer is definitely out. Lacking a drum sander, I'd suggest going from the band saw to a jack or jointer plane if you have one (to get the piece flat). For final smoothing, your no. 4 and then card scrapers are your best bet, but it sounds like your smoother might need to be tuned up. You mentioned "practicing" with it - well a properly tuned and set up plane doesn't require a whole lot of technique so I suspect it either needs some help (there are tons of great resources on tuning hand planes out there). The other problem is that a standard smoother set up with a 45 degree angle is likely still going to tear out on burl. I have three smoothers, two of which are back-beveled to give me 50 and 55 degree pitches. I use these for more difficult grain, and then follow that up with a card scraper. This is much more likely to work on the burl without tearing out as much. But don't even think about going right from the band saw to card scraper, that could take weeks of hard labor!

What gives burl that swirling grain effect is just that - the grain is undulating in many different directions. So in many ways, it's not much different than that end-grain cutting board, as any time that grain swirls upward, you're basically getting patches of end grain. So the planer is definitely out. Lacking a drum sander, I'd suggest going from the band saw to a jack or jointer plane if you have one (to get the piece flat). For final smoothing, your no. 4 and then card scrapers are your best bet, but it sounds like your smoother might need to be tuned up. You mentioned "practicing" with it - well a properly tuned and set up plane doesn't require a whole lot of technique so I suspect it either needs some help (there are tons of great resources on tuning hand planes out there). The other problem is that a standard smoother set up with a 45 degree angle is likely still going to tear out on burl. I have three smoothers, two of which are back-beveled to give me 50 and 55 degree pitches. I use these for more difficult grain, and then follow that up with a card scraper. This is much more likely to work on the burl without tearing out as much. But don't even think about going right from the band saw to card scraper, that could take weeks of hard labor!

LOL....yes, sorry I didn't mean to do it all with a scraper. What Rob said. Sometimes it's very late at night when I post and they are not always thought out very well.