grizzly 14" ultimate bandaw

jab73180

Hey everyone. I know a few of you have this bandsaw, so let's hear it. Sound off about how good or bad it is. Next question is how much is a used one worth. There is one on craigslist for 400 which is to much but I was thinking 200 would be a good deal if it is in decent shape. Let me know.

I just bought the polar bear series new a couple months ago, the saw is identical to the one you are looking at except for the color and price. I would give it 4 out of 5 Stars, and is overall a good saw. I kocked a star as the guide bearings are the only thing I am not crazy about as they tend to get a little noisy. They do hold the blade straight though. I paid $425, plus freight for mine. I am with Tim, for a used saw, I would have a very difficult time going over $200 for it.

I've had my ultimate for 4 or 5 yrs I put a riser block on mine up graded the blade cause the stock blades are crap. I love this saw it is a resawing machine i've ran 8" diamiter logs through and made my own lumber maple mostly. I don't know what a used one is worth but 400 is to high.

• 1 month later...

I'd be a little ticked off if someone wanted to give me $275 for an almost new bandsaw when I asked $400, that's almost 1/2 his asking price. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask though, hope he didn't have plans that day. I always put *firm* in my listings. If I were in your country I'd have picjed that up right away. I have the Grizzly 2HP 17" bandsaw model: G0513X2 and love it, good saw. Another 14" to do curves would be nice.

• 1 month later...

For 400 I can get a brand new one with a warranty. Doesn't make sense to buy a used one.

Rule of thumb is half of retail because of wear and no warranty - most go by this when buying tools. If he's asking $20 below the new price and then he's firm on that, he doesn't know the war's over. Like Bob said, he should have said 'firm' and no one's time would have gotten wasted. I'm amazed as I bounce around craig's list. Some people have no earthly idea what their tool is worth. Its a 90s model TS - brand doesn't matter - Craftsman, Hitachi, Ryobi and they're asking $450 for it. It's like they absolutely do NO research before pricing it. If it's a used PM66 single phase for $450, I'm on the phone! THEN you have the daughter I spoke to last week whose dad had passed away and she was selling his tools. She was selling his Grizzly 15" planer that sells for $995 new (G0453) and she's asking $800 for it. I explained about the rule of thumb of half and her reply was "but it was dads".....I ever so gently explained how people won't pay extra for her sentimental feelings....now don't cuss me...I was gentle... if it's in excellent shape, I'll go a little higher but I still may ask Vic....in case you haven't figured it out, Vic's a Dr. Reed (Criminal Minds)....the cat knows a lotta stuff!

I have it and like it. It could have a bit better dust collection port set just under the lower guide bearings (more like the Laguna and other higher priced bandsaws). If you plan to do any resawing with it I highly recommend you get the riser block. I have had mine for years now (bought it a few months after it first came out). It's held up well and has only needed a little bit of tuning after I moved it from my old house to the new one (had some slight wheel alignment issues between the upper and lower wheel that I had to re-align).