What oil do you use?

newageneanderthal

Being that the summer humidity is here in full effect around my house, my tools rust if left over night without oil on the surface. This means every day when I'm done in the shop the tools I have used all need a wipe down. Up until know I have been using just plain old 3-in-1 oil for this and haven't had any problems. I keep hearing about using either jojoba or camellia oil as the only options. Is there something superior about these oils? What do you use to keep rust at bay when it gets sticky out?

I've been using Camellia oil for the past few years, and it works really well for me. It's basically a vegetable oil. I haven't used Jojoba oil yet, but I'm told it's more like a liquid wax. I believe light coats of each are pretty "dry", so they don't attached dust. I think 3-in-1 stays a little "wet", which can attached dust, which can contain moisture.

Mike

Those two oils are optimal as they will not discolor the wood you are working. I have been using Jojoba oil this year, and have found it very effective on my hand tools. So much so, I actually found it works better than boeshield, I have put it on my cast iron surfaces as well.

I live in a desert, so rust is never been a problem. But, for my slides for the SCMS, the Excalibur sliding table and the shafts on the DP, I use Blue Wonder Disotec XFR. It's pretty phenomenal stuff. Does not attract dust and last a very long time. http://shop.bluewonder.us/products/Blue_Wonder_Disotec_XFR_Premium_Gun_Lubricant_1_2_oz_tube-8-0.html

It's what I've used on my guns, and tried it out in the shop. Love it.

Thanks for the replies. Having not used jojoba or camellia before I don't know how their "Dryness" compares to 3-1, but the 3-1 definitely stays wet. I have never had and issue with wood discoloration for 3-1. I would think you would need to transfer a good amount (as in dripping it directly onto he wood) to see any visible change in color, texture, etc. Unless it effects some woods that I am not used to working with more, are there any woods that are effect more than others by the oil?

I have a pair of dehumidifiers running full-time in my shop which helps a great deal. That being said, I do give my hand tools a light coat of Renaissance Wax about once a week, which seems to work well. I've never been able to find any camelia oil so I can't compare it. Which brings me to my questions, where the heck do you find that stuff?

I have used both jojoba and camellia oils as well as various mineral oils, waxes and also lanolin, and BLO on my tools.

My take is that they all work well at preventing rust and that if you leave too much on the tool they tend to leave a sticky film which attracts sawdust and other crud.

My approach is to follow the Schwarz's approach and use a "wooby" - mine is a sock (one which had lost its partner). It gets used all the time to give tools a quick wipe down as they go away. When breaking it in put oil on the tool and wipe it around with the material. After a while the material will be charged with enough oil to transfer a thin film to your tool on its own. Then I just squirt a bit of oil on it whenever I remember to.

As for the oil, my wooby, like the Schwarz's, now has an unknown combo of natural and mineral oils and works great.

If you want to get cheaper jojoba and camellia oils, I find them on eBay being sold as a carrier oil by the people who sell essential oils. The prices are usually cheaper than from tool suppliers (which gives you an idea of the markup being applied) :)