My New Shop - In the Works

guitar10000

Dude, you got a nice thing workin there.. I am jealous of the sink. I wish I would have put one in when I built, and now it would got me about $800 to get one put in. Lesson learned.. COngrats on the new shop.

Do you have a layout planned yet? If not, here's one that works for me. Vehicle #2 stays in the garage 99% of the time. I pull Vehicle #1 out into the driveway when I want to work in the shop, but otherwise I can park it inside unless I'm working on something really big.

I used to have things set up with all the tools one one side and the two cars parked next to each other. The problem with that setup was that moving one or both of the cars out didn't really make the shop area any bigger. As I have it now, moving Vehicle #1 gives me more room where I need it, as opposed to just opening up a hole on the other side of the garage.

I'm lucky to have the little "wart" on the left side where I have the lathe and the drill press. If that wasn't there, then I would have put those tools in the area marked "storage" between the bench and the door into the house.

About the only thing I don't like is the location of the planer. To use it, I either have to move it or else open the big double door to the driveway and annoy the neighbors with the noise.

-- Russ

post-685-0-25674500-1309660533_thumb.gif

got a salution to the planer problem flip the table saw around so it faces the other way put the outfeed and router table on there side so it is closer to the wall then the planer will be further away from the wall. i use my planer much more often then i use the router. the router is used only when im finished up doing some detail work and when im making joints. the joints are usualy done with small pieces. it looks like most of your wood is small hard and exotic woods no huge 12-20 foot boards.

make use of you roof a shop vac can be mounted above table saw and outfeed table for easy clean up. i saw a guy who instead of building cabinets for storage he put rubber bins on the top of his garage that he could just pull down. and drawers could be attached to the roof so that you can slide them out and get out what ever bolts you need. people forget they have 4 surfaces to build on not just walls and floor. you might be able to get some good ideas and remove one of the storage areas and put plainer or jointer in that area. you could build a stand that has the jointer on top and planer on bottom shelf and then you just have to bend a little to put board through planer. well good luck