Studio Furniture

I was having a conversation the other day with someone (a non woodworker) on the topic of woodworking, hand crafted hand made pieces rather than mass produced ones. The term “Studio Furniture” came up and I had a hard time giving a definition of what Studio Furniture is. What is your take on the term? If I make it in my “Studio” (or as I call it my shop) is that Studio Furniture? What qualifies table X a studio piece and table Y just a coffee table? Wood selection, design, construction, finish, price? Or just because I say it is a piece of Studio Furniture. What's you thought?

I have wondered the same thing...

Since you asked, I looked it up. This is what the internet came up with and it sounds good to me.

Definitions of Studio Furniture on the Web:

Studio Furniture is a subfield of Studio Craft centered around one-of-a-kind or limited production furniture objects designed and built by craftspeople. The work is made in a craftsperson's studio setting as opposed to being made in a high volume factory. ...en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Furniture

What is studio craft?

Definitions of Studio Craft on the Web:

Studio craft, though it takes many forms, can be thought of in general as the tendency to practice craft methodology in an environment similar if not equivalent to that of an artist's studio. ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Craft

The two points that stick out in my mind is that the pieces are "centered around one-of-a-kind or limited production furniture objects designed and built by craftspeople" vs. production built by employees of the company.

When I hear the words "studio furniture" my mind sees a piece who's style, finish and over all feel would more likely be found in a gallery presentation rather than a furniture store. A piece viewed as much as a piece of art as it would be a piece of straight up functional furniture.