Sawyer and woodworker from west bend wi

Hello there everyone! I have been watching Marc on his site for a year or more now and was excited when this forum started! This has been a busy year so far. I decided this was one of my projects for this week was to sign up and participate here.

I have been working with wood since I was 5 yrs old when my dad first put some wood hammer and nails in my hands. Once he trusted me with the saw there was no getting it out of me I was hooked! I have had the opportunity to do a wide range of woodworking. After high school I was able to gain training in running a weinig moulding machine while working for a high end picture frame manufacturer. After that I worked in home renovation and finish carpentry and eventually started my own hobby shop making furniture for the most part. My most recent venture in wood working has been cresting for the past 9-10 years. I have worked in the green industry selling tree care (mainly bug and disease treatments). Being in the industry opened my eyes to the vast amount of urban trees that rot in landfills or are burned. Treecycle Hardwoods was a project I launched 2 years ago to utilize urban logs for quality hardwood lumber. Since then I haven’t spent much time in the wood shop. Last fall my woodshop was moved to the same location as my sawmill. It was one cold winter for sure! This year the shop is insulated and ready to be worked in good thing too, cause man I have been itching for it! The first thing on my list is to build some tables from some elm which grew on our property. While my parents still owed the house we live in several elm trees had to be removed when the septic went bad. Now that they are milled and dried they will be gifts for my parents for Christmas. It makes woodworking much cooler when you can use the wood from tree you climbed as a kid! I look forward to meeting all of you and discussing this great hobby we all share!

Have a good one

Greg

i got a budy who does the same thing he get all his wood from the park service and tree removal and makes them into boards. and the trees he cant use he eather burns or sends them off to a mulching company. i see that you make boards but dont forget turners need blanks as well and they go through them faster then a carpenter. you can finish a bowl blank in like 20 min shorter if your a master.

• 2 weeks later...

I have some blanks a local guy comes out to buy most of the stuff I make currently. I would like to get more of that stuff on the website hopefully this winter I will get a few up there. Do you turn by chance there duckkisser?

Russ you are right on the shipping. local shipping isnt so bad. When I have to ship out west is when it gets expensive. I hope to refine shipping as time goes on so it is more affordable. I currently use ups it was an easy widget for the wordpress platform I use for the site.

Welcome. We need more people from the great WI. What kind of saw mill are you using? I find myself strangely fascinated with the process. Lots of good info here. I may need some 8/4 here at some point. Maybe I will swing on by.