Kitchen Countertops

cowchaser

Ok, so here's the deal. My parents want to replace their kitchen countertops. They don't have the money to start from scratch and my dad wants me to remove the old laminate and then put down new. Is this even possible? If it is what is the best way to do it? Any advise would be very helpful. I realize this isn't exactly woodworking, but thought I would give a try here.

If you go right over the top with a new laminate, think about the edge condition. Lots of laminate tops have some kind of profile routed on the edge and you see the thickness of the laminate (usually looks like a black layer). This is usually no big deal. If you add a second layer, now you will have black, color of old laminate, black, and new laminate color as the sandwich showing on the edge.

If you have a trim piece that site flush with the old laminate, your new laminate will stick up over that.

I don't know what the profile looks like now, so maybe this isn't an issue.

Also, make sure you have the smoothest surface possible within reason. The new laminate will telegraph any major imperfections below it over time. If there is a ridge, your laminate might crack or prevent proper adhesion. If there is a void, your new laminate might cave in. ADHESIVE IS NOT A LEVELING AGENT!!!

Go over the old top with new laminate. Just rough up the surface by sanding and apply the new. Bad as I to mention it, http://www.rustoleum...formations.com/ Works very well from what I here.

Have you ever seen this in real life?

It reminds me of that old fleck stone crap you could rattle bomb from 10-15 years ago. I hope this product is better than that.

I have had success with removing the old laminate and covering the existing substrate with 1/4" or 1/8" material such as luan. I glue and staple the material down and then apply the new laminate. I have not had much success with applying laminate on top of laminate but I do hear it works. here are some pictures of a restaurant counter I did using the above method. Another thing to think about is that the laminate is generally the most expense part of the counter top. I would maybe think about making new counters and just totally replacing them. hope this helped good luck!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

getting to this topic late - and so probable a moot point - but 10 years ago - I removed all the laminate in my kitchen - and replaced it with old (unfinished) oak flooring - Even 10 years later it is looking as good as the day I installed it. I would add that it needs a lot of coats of a good Poly - 6 in this case.

post-6155-0-48154700-1325777228_thumb.jppost-6155-0-89331000-1325777638_thumb.jppost-6155-0-80555700-1325777685_thumb.jppost-6155-0-27300300-1325777742_thumb.jppost-6155-0-11962800-1325777790_thumb.jppost-6155-0-68739300-1325777855_thumb.jppost-6155-0-90209100-1325777882_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

I'd start from scratch. Here's why:

The expensive part of a laminate countertop is the laminate. Since you need to buy that, and the glue, anyway... why screw around with the old substrate? Substrate is only particle board or MDF, which is cheeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppp.

This lets you create the new surfaces in the comfort of the shop. Bring it to the site, cut the sink hole, and you're good to go.