Hinge borer for cabinet doors

davestanton

I make a few doors. Not high tech or terribly attractive, just utilitarian. When it comes time to have the holes bored to take the cup hinges, I usually drive to a local joinery shop that has the specific equipement. I tried a forstner bit once and it was a tragedy although the guide I saw in one of Marc's videos looked impressive.

So, I was trawling through the web when I saw this little gem produced by BLUM. They have all sorts of sexy machines that look like they would be very useful for a kitchen manufacturing company, but for me, I couldn't justify the cost.

Watch the video and please tell me what you think or if there is an even easier method.

When time and money allows, I guess I could buy a full height drill press AND make a table for it for the same price as the Blum. The only difference is transportability. I love Ron Walter's videos and his dry monotone speech as well as his amazing practical manner! Have a look at his videos on youtube and see what I mean.

Duck, think about 20mm instead of 3/4 " holes. The reason being that a lot of dogs and also festool and Walko cam clamps fit into them as well as

that are 20mm

dont think 20mm would fit i would have to grind down my clamp shafts. and considering we have a ton of these clamps that i would want the kids to use these regularly i just dont want to cut down 24 clamps that perfectly.

dont think 20mm would fit i would have to grind down my clamp shafts. and considering we have a ton of these clamps that i would want the kids to use these regularly i just dont want to cut down 24 clamps that perfectly.

19mm = 3/4", 20mm is a larger diameter than 3/4" by 1mm :)

Dave, I bought a 35mm carbide bit from wwhardware.com and use it on my drill press without issues. It cuts a very good clean, accurate hole and I set the depth stop appropriately. I've made a complete kitchen set and more with it. One thing I do for multiple doors is to make a drilling template so I locate the hinge hole in the same spot on every door.

You dont need anything fancy to do hinges or even a jig for that matter. The jig by blum is what Ive used quite some time but is really made for expandable hinges and they are great but overpriced. Any strait edge clamped to a drill press table is fine. Use a 5mm drill bit or what ever your offset is as the spacing. Lower your bit and clamp the fence just touching the drill bit between the fence and 35mm bit. Mark your door and drill away. The rockler one with the spring loaded depth stop and centering cup works very well for hand drilling on a job site.

Don

Thanks to everyone for their input. I have never used a forstner bit before, always grabbed speed bores. I guess my concern was how the bits do not just race all over the work surface without a long centering point. I will give it a go on some scrap until my confidence picks up :unsure: