making my own buffer?

duckkisser

It's possible. I believe it's just a matter of putting the buffing wheel on instead of the grinding wheel. I'd opt for the slower speed, personally, but that's me.

My own situation is slightly different: I'm planning on a simple rod that will have 3 dedicated buffing wheels on it. Since I have a second lathe (my grandfather's) that does not get used enough, I'm thinking some smaller wheels on it will make a nice buffing station. (It's an unpowered bench lathe. Longer than my main, but smaller capacity. And needs a separate motor - which I have. What I don't have is the rod to be the "dedicated spindle" for the buffing station, or the belt to go between the lathe and the motor.)

Another option: simply chuck the buffing wheel into a drill press. Especially if you can easily adjust the speed on the drill press. this will also allow you to insert the appropriate buffing material / wheel for the task at hand.

(Now all I need to do is remember what type of material goes with which type of buffing....)