Cheap Walnut

BenMinshall

I went to a property auction at a barn outside of town where apparently an old woodworker must have lived. There was a whole section of the barn with bunks and bunks of carefully stickered hardwood stacks all for sale. I ended up bidding on this pile of 7/4 (yeah that's right) and 4/4 walnut. The thick ones are about 8' long and the thin ones are about 12'. My estimate is about 200 board feet of black walnut in this stack, and I paid $225 -- $1.12 / bf for black walnut is not too bad! There's no telling how long it's been sitting in that barn, but I'm guessing quite a long time based on how much dust was on everything. The color of the wood makes me think this was probably air dried instead of steamed or kiln dried.

OPyus.jpg

Most of the wood there was cherry, and there were a couple other guys who really knew what it was worth and wanted to take it home. One roughly chest-high stack sold for $700. I was happy to let them duke it out then quietly take the walnut and go home. :-)

I'm strongly considering using this for the Roubo Bench guild build in January. I don't think the pieces are quite long enough to do the top as specified in the plan, but I was thinking I might make a shorter bench anyway given my small garage.