Finishing an exterior bench?

chicks82

So a customer has asked that i refinish an exterior bench. Well just the wooden slats. Now i was going to use a standard oil base stain to match the old color and they seal with shellac.

For the top coat i was thinking of GF Enduro-Var. The question I have will this last out in the sun?

If not what other suggestions do you have?

EF-Exterior-450-250px.jpg

GF-outdoor-oil-250px.jpg

Enduro-Var is not rated for outdoor use. For outdoor use, stick with products formulated for outdoors. Typically these products have more "elasticity" so the finish won't crack during the expansion and contraction of woods in the outdoors and contain UV protection.

Sounds like you may be a General Finishes user??? If you want water-based, try the Exterior 450. Or if you like oil, try the Outdoor Oil.

-Ace-

I looks like white oak, but it's really hard to tell. The original finish was done very poorly and was a toned lacquer I think. So when I got it it was completely pealing off and had been very weathered and had some rot and mold growing.

I cleaned the boards up as best i could and got all the wet rot out. Thank god there was no dry rot and filled everything and stained it.

I am now finishing it with the GF Exterior 450 and it is working brushing great. Now the real test is when I get it installed and come back and check on it in 6 months haha.

Ace thank you for the recomendation. I had questions about the Enduro but for the life of me could not find if it was rated for exterior use or not. It was one of those days where I couldn't find anything in the shop either. And yes I am a very big fan of GF they make a great easy to use durable product.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going to use an oil based stain then you can omit the shellac if you want to follow up with an oil based spar varnish. Any clear film finish of this sort has a very limited life in full uv exposure and requires regular and timely re-coating with proper surface preparation. On average, six months is a recommended re-coat time. At one year you risk surface film degradation and failure. Oak is particularly difficult. I have white oak roof racks on my truck which I treat with a home brewed oil finish using tung oil or linseed oil, pine tar and turpentine. Still needs attention a couple times a year but the prep is minimal. Some of the pigmented oil finishes intended for fencing might be the best solution or look at using Sikkens Cetol. Kind of a mustardy cloudy finish but it does last longer and is simple to prep for and apply. In my neck of the woods, it is the standard substitute for varnish on all the practical boats.