Two Bowls & a Plate/Platter

susieq4131

Bowls pictured are in two sizes 12 5/16" in diameter and a 10 1/16" in diameter from some dark maple I had. I have just enough wood to make a third smaller bowl, but haven't cut it out yet.. Tried to make the bowls as similar as possible. Ended up with a deeper than normal drill hole entry on the larger bowl when separating the rings. As a result the largest bowl has a slightly different shape. Had originally created a large ring around the outside edge of the biggest bowl and then decided to try and match the bowls. Because of this change, it resulted in a thinner edge on the larger bowl. Tried my best to match the bead around the outside edge. I've learned it's helpful to have a plan in mind and stick to it from the get go.

Plate/platter is 11 1/4" in diameter. Laminated mostly 1/4 strips of maple in a random pattern. This plate/platter started out at 13 1/4 inches. I ended up changing the edge design about 5 different times - reason for the shrinking size. lol Since this multi - pieced wood design was so busy, settled on a simpler edge design.

Finish (on all three items) is my favorite USP grade mineral oil and 100% beeswax.

Here are the results.

SQ

post-1522-0-74688600-1320422614_thumb.jp

post-1522-0-63233100-1320422659_thumb.jp

post-1522-0-34205400-1320422699_thumb.jp

post-1522-0-18931000-1320422728_thumb.jp

post-1522-0-48784000-1320422754_thumb.jp

post-1522-0-36191800-1320422777_thumb.jp

susie i would like to eventuly make vases. i just realy think that they are very nice looking. how do you sand you stuff i know i just started but i noticed that sometimes that i have very small lines in the wood that i cant sand out. do you use some kind of sander to get you stuff realy smooth or do you just do very light scraping and lots of sanding?

I especially like the plate.

-- Russ

Russ,

Thanks. I have another 13 1/4 platter in the works that is a definite pattern - maple cherry, and walnut. Really looking forward to seeing this new one completed. Should have glued up the block last night, but I was slacking. lol Need to glue on the waste block today so I can work on it tomorrow.

SQ

what shapes are you making your bowl segments? Are you making, essentially, one thick solid cylinder or are you making increasingly larger rings?

I'm looking at the grain and trying to figure out your method.

S Barton,

I thought pictures would explain this better.

1st picture is right after this bowl was cut out on a scroll saw and pattern removed. (I see from this picture the rings are not aligned, but I do align the rings before I glue them up. Second picture shows alignment marks on the sides of the bowl) Entry holes for drill bit must be set at the same angle I cut the rings. The angle at which I cut the rings is the same throughout the bowl resulting in rings that stack up one on top of the other with little overhang. The width of each ring is the same.

2nd picture is the bowl rings and bottom of bowl glued up and a waste block attached for turning.

I hope this answered your question. :)

SQ

post-1522-0-85139900-1320512462_thumb.jp

post-1522-0-24585400-1320512714_thumb.jp

susie i would like to eventuly make vases. i just realy think that they are very nice looking. how do you sand you stuff i know i just started but i noticed that sometimes that i have very small lines in the wood that i cant sand out. do you use some kind of sander to get you stuff realy smooth or do you just do very light scraping and lots of sanding?

Duckkisser,

I bought a new Grex 2" air sander and also bought the extensions so I can get into deep bowls. They also have available a 3" pad, but I haven't found it necessary. I ended up having to upgrade my air compressor as the minimum requirement for this air sander is a 60 gallon air compressor. I am very pleased I took the plunge and bought the Grex and 60 gallon air compressor. I can now sand on the lathe up to 800 grit. I take my time sanding, and don't move up to the next grit until I am satisfied that grit has accomplished all it is capable of.

SQ

thinking im going to have to get myself a sander the classroom has the 60 gallon so i sont need to buy one anytime soon yaye me but i can at least the the sander. where do you buy you pads from i bet menards does not have much of a demand for that so they dont carry it. Hmmmm wonder if i can find a sander with a ajustable head so i can change the angle of the sanding action.

thinking im going to have to get myself a sander the classroom has the 60 gallon so i sont need to buy one anytime soon yaye me but i can at least the the sander. where do you buy you pads from i bet menards does not have much of a demand for that so they dont carry it.

I bought the Grex air sander from Woodcraft and they carry the pads from 60 grit to 800 grit. I think it's the perfect size for the lathe. I'm really happy with it.

I tried that spoon and it turned out horrible. I never could get it to look right. Spoons are more difficult than they look.

SQ

keep trying it on scrap eventuly you will get it right maybe best to make the hand and head as two different pieces and then attach.

i think ill end up geting myself a sander like that one but would like one with a changing head so i can eather do strait on or at an angle. just wish the sand paper wasent so expensive wonder if i can take a large pad and a hole saw and cut myself 3-4 holes on each one.

keep trying it on scrap eventuly you will get it right maybe best to make the hand and head as two different pieces and then attach.

i think ill end up geting myself a sander like that one but would like one with a changing head so i can eather do strait on or at an angle. just wish the sand paper wasent so expensive wonder if i can take a large pad and a hole saw and cut myself 3-4 holes on each one.

I obviously have no real spoon skills . The turned handle looked wonderful, but I just couldn't get the bowl of the spoon looking right. Steve Good's site has some great spoons. forks, and spatulas to scroll. I'm actually cut out several of his spatulas today.

The Grex comes with a rather firm sanding pad but they make a thick flexible pad which the sanding pads attach to. This thick flexible pad makes sanding angles much easier. This pad will fly off the sander if it isn't against something when you turn the sander on. I've been on the floor more than once trying to locate the darn thing.

SQ

do you have any carving knives? i have a basic set of 3 that was given to me and they work for carving out the center of something. then i just used a dremel to clean out and do a final smoothing.

Yes, I also have a basic set of carving tools and a dremel but never used the dremel for this application. Here are some very shallow spoons I scrolled the outside form and carved the bowl. If I used the dremel to help sand the interior that would be very helpful. There must be other sanding attachments, I am not aware of for the dremel.

Thinking I will cut some more salad sets ( fork and spoon) from Steve Good's pattern and give it another try. Another option is turning the handle and then carving out the spoon. Time to dust off the carving set and give it another try. :)

SQ

post-1522-0-69622600-1320601788_thumb.jp

post-1522-0-48647500-1320602273_thumb.jp

i know i saw a video on utube where some guy carved out a spoon im sure if you look it up you will find something usefull. another thought is you could turn a deep small bowl drill a hole in it and then glue in handle to make a ladle.

also do you make you own turning stock im making some lilac blanks that i need to seal but i not shure what of sealent i should get. any thoughts or sugestion preferable something i can get at a box store and not have shiped in. (Side note this lilac smell like pumpkin)