DC control? How do you do it?

chicks82

So I am setting up my new shop and getting ready to purchase a DC unit and I was thinking how does everyone control their DC. Do you guys just turn it on when you get to the shop and leave it on while working? Do you use a remote? Or does it turn on when you start to use a tool?

I am looking at what is best. I was thinking of doing a remote and then thought I probably won't remember to turn it off or on most of the time. So I was thinking of either just turning it on when I get to the shop or having a system that turns on when a tool is on.

I use a remote, mostly because it was easy. Remembering to turn it off is no problem - as soon as you take off your hearing protection, you'll remember. I admit, sometimes I'm looking at my table saw wondering how so much dust is getting past the dust collection, and then I realize I forgot to turn it on.

I often turn it on when I put my hearing protection, respirator, and eye protection on, and leave it on until I take all that off.

If all your stuff is 110, and if you don't run more than one tool at a a time, it's pretty easy to set it up so the DC turns on and off automatically. My DC is 220 and most of my tools are 110, so it's a little trickier, but I think there are products that will do it. Just remember to get heavy gauge extension cords if you are going more than a few feet.

Are you talking about a dust collector or air cleaner? I have duct work that goes to a blast gate at each tool and I only turn my dc on when I run a tool and do so with a remote. If you are talking about an air filter then it is common to turn them on when you are going to be using machinery and letting it run for a while after to clean the air, how long depends on the size of you shop. I would suggest this after a good dc system. You obviously want to get as much as the dust before it gets in the air and then worry about the airborne stuff. A good mask is also very helpfull. Hope this helps and I am sure others will chime in with their 2 cents worth.

Nate

Thanks guys for the information. Nate I am thinking about getting an air cleaner along with my dust collector and I think I am going to go with a remote unless my electrician friend can figure something out to have all my tools hooked up to a fancier version of that switch Beach posted :)

charles instead of a remote or a master switch (wanted to do for classroom so we can turn off machines so kids cant pretend to not hear us when it time to clean.) might i sugest you get one of those boxes that lets you plug in machine and dust collector. when you turn on the machine it outomaticly turns on the dust collector. only bad thing is that you can only plug one machine in at a time but if you hook it up to you worst machine like the big belt sanders, planer, table saw ect. im sure they make a box that lets you plug in more then one machine

http://www.google.com/search?q=turning+on+dustcollector+same+time+as+machine&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=#q=automatic+dust+collector+switch&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&prmd=imvnsb&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=PMe3TsOCNZC62gWY74jNDQ&ved=0CHMQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=dec22f9bde300d47&biw=1366&bih=578

also a little tip that had a huge difference in the classroom is a drum for the collectorhttp://www.dans-hobbies.com/2008/07/12/shop-made-dust-collector/ what is even easer is to take a 55 gallon drum and have a hose feed into the barrel from the collector, and a hose feeding in from the pipes or duct work. i took and put a vacume attachment that is the curved wide throated one and put one on each hose to dirrect the suction and outfeed away from each other. make shure to point the attachments in the same dirrecton as the infeed will blow it against the wall down along the side up up the other side so if they were pointed in different direction your infeed is blowing your sawdust strait into your suction. its is easer on my dust collector, less expensive then a cyclone, and i dont have to empty my bag very often. if you have any question let me know.

I use a 220v remote from Penn State. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LR220-3.html I usually have the remote in my apron or in my pants leg pocket. I turn it on only when I'm getting ready to use a machine and turn it off thereafter.

I've thought about this: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LRMSET220.html but I have a lot of gates and have other more important things to work on right now.

I also have an air cleaner that I turn on and off with the push button switches since I don't have a remote for it. But I only use this when I'm sanding or working with MDF.

There's also an expensive system designed for industry which puts vibration sensors on each machine. When the machine starts vibrating, the DC turns on (if it isn't already) and the blast gate opens. When the machine stops vibrating, the system waits a bit to clear out the duct, then shuts the blast gate and turns off the DC if no other machine is running. I guess it pays for itself in a big shop with several people, but it would also work for a single person who was willing to pay for the convenience and automation.

I use a remote from Shop Fox myself. I put it in predominantly for convenience. I like to work without a dust collector on when I don't need one so I wouldn't want it running all the time and I'm too lazy to walk over and flip the switch when I do want it on. It's much easier to hit the on button on the remote :).

For my remote I took the clip off an old tape measure and drilled a small hole in it and looped a ring from a keychain through the hole. Then I took a small piece of wood about as wide and 3/8" longer as my remote and 1/4" thick, double stick taped my remote to it. In the wood where it overhangs the remote drill a hole and hook it to the keychain ring. Now I hook it to my pocket or my shop apron and it is always at my side. I sure wish I had my camera with me as it would have made this a lot quicker and clearer!! Just a suggestion that made my life easier.

Nate

I walk around aimlessly looking for my remote. 9 times out of ten is closer to push the button on the back wall of the shop.

Don

Hehe I hear you Don. Both of my remotes came with the little caribener type hook on the end so it's easy to clip on my belt. I still spend half my time looking for it (and pointedly ignoring the backup which is in my tool cabinet of course!)

I have used one of the automated systems described by Beechwood Chip (above).  At the time (10 years ago)  it cost about $50 per machine to purchase the dust gate and sensor plus about $100 for the controller.  As Chip described it, th DC turns on and opens the dust gate when you start the machine.  If any other gates are open and the connected machine is no running, it automatically closes that gate, focussing all the DC power to the active machines.  The manufacturer also sold current sensors to trigger the system for smaller machines such as router tables or chop saws where the vibration might be too weak to activate the sensor.

A less expensive solution involves a manually operated blast gate that incorporates a switch.  When you open the gate to use a machine, the switch turns on the DC and when you close the gate it turns it off.  The only problem I see with that approach is that the gate closes while the DC is still running creating a vacuum in the ducts.

I considered both versions when I built my present shop but ended up cheaping out and using the remote that came with my Grizzly DC.  The controller, which also has an on-off button lives on the wall within a step of 4 of my machines.  The remote lives on the top of my table saw fence and moves to my router table or sander as needed.

Mike

I have a rockler remote switch. I like it because the remote is smaller and looks like an automotive key fob. The rockler and woodcraft units are pretty similar if not the same. They have 110 and 220 controls for most dust collectors. I had a problem with mine and rockler exchanged it no questions asked, very good customer support. I have a dedicated screw right by my safety glasses and such where i park it when not in use. I just clip it to my shirt or pants when working and it is always in hands reach.

The key is not to misplace it, so I recommend dedicating a "place" for it - maybe along with your safety glasses.

I would probably have to put it on my key ring then. Since I wear glasses every except when I sleep and shower. Even when I am on the job I get up and put my prescription safety glasses on. So it is possible I put it with them but if I go with a remote I think it will be best to put it with my keys which I have with me just like my glasses :)

I have my eye on this system:

Ecogate

This caught my eye mostly because of the iPad in the image haha. My iPhone is never off my hip and I will be purchasing an iPad soon because of the .dwq viewer/editor that autodesk has for iOS. I will be able to have my plans sitting in the cloud :)

My current system is woefully inadequate. Today all my blast gates are manual and I walk over and turn on the DC manually, and shut it off manually, each time I use it. I'm planning a complete rework of my system, but I can't get seem to get through the back-order of other projects and honey-dos I currently have on my docket.

I have been working on using the Jedi Mind Trick to flip the switch and open the blast gates from a distance, but I can't seem to master it. Geez, Luke Skywalker made it look so easy?