Benchcrafted Plan vs. Guild Plan

AdamAronson

As far as I can tell the only dimensional difference between the two plans is the thickness and length of the gap stop. Has there been any discussion about why the guild build's gap stop is different? Longer makes sense (I guess)... what about thicker? Easier to dimension to the more rounded 8ths vs. 16ths perhaps?

Are there any other differences I'm overlooking? Before committing to the guild build I purchased the BC plans and was planning on following them. Will I be confusing myself if I still plan on following the BC plans over the guild plans? Then again, I'm not entirely sure why I care. :D

Thanks,

Adam

Hey Adam. We adjusted the thickness of the gap stop to allow for common parallel clamp heads. So all we did was rob some depth from the front/back slabs. The gap stop's length is trivial and we made it longer just for the sake of making it more consistent with the bench. The original was made with scrap that Jameel had laying around and that's the size he had. No strategic reason for making it shorter.

The only other change is with regards to the end cap. We are laying out three possible options, one of which includes the Benchcrafted original. The version I am doing in the videos (option 1) is very much like the Benchcrafted version with a very small change to make construction a little easier.

Aside from that, the plans are identical.

Adam,

I'm already into the build a bit. I have the top almost done and the legs all milled. By the way, I did not do the 2 degree dog hole. I'll do that in the dogs themselves and I did glue on the dog hole strip when I did the tops. The only thing left for me is the front rail to be dovetailed into the end cap.

I found the Benchcrafted plans rather difficult to follow. If it wasn't for Aaron's SketchUp, I would be totally confused. I do recommend using the templates in the BC PDF download on the vise installation. While, I haven't got it completed, it seems it is dead on and will run very smooth.

• 2 weeks later...