Using Dyes, spraying, wiping etc

danbell78

Does anyone have any experience using dyes instead of normal stains? I was considering using some dye on a project that I am trying to get a nice dark brown color out of red oak. (Had I planned this color when starting I would have used Walnut or something darker to start with). I have tried stains but struggled with getting the color as deep as I wanted. Has anyone sprayed dyes, either just mixed with water or mixed in with the water based poly? I have used a dye before, to get a nice deep red on maple, and was happy with the results with just wiping it on. That was before I got the spray system, so now I would like to try it via spray.

Thanks

Yep tinted topcoats are excellent.

Just a word of caution...if your spraying techniques aren't fully developed, their can be a problem with lap marks, that thick and light coverage thing, then going too dark.

Spraying dye only, any unevenness can be dealt with pretty easy, wiped back and start over, or even a light scuff of the heavy areas with sand paper to blend.

-Ace-

==> Just a word of caution...if your spraying techniques aren't fully developed, they can be a problem with lap marks, that thick and light coverage thing, then going too dark

oh yea... +1 on that. Probably have 75gals of lacquer under my gun and I still approach glazing/toning with caution.

Have found the easyest place to start tinting is a 1lb cut seal coat..