Protecting TV from dust

Redbaran

Merry Christmas-Eve everyone!

In anticipation of getting some awesome tools from the awesome wife this Christmas, I'm plotting some shop upgrades. One of the things that's lower on my list is putting in a TV. My only concern is protecting the TV from the dust. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is this something I should even worry about?

My only idea so far is to buy some kind of soft filters and cut them down to size to fit over any openings on the back of the TV. I certainly don't want to prevent airflow completely as that could cause the TV to overheat.

I'll obviously be putting the TV outside the line of fire from a tablesaw kickback. I've never had a kickback on the tablesaw, but given my luck, the first one would occur the same day I install a TV in the wrong spot.

I'd place the TV in the clean air section of the airflow direction and occasionally blow out the vents with compressed air.

TV's don't have fans to suck dust in, so it would only be subject to settling dust. Covering the TV when not in use would probably go a long way towards keeping it clean, too...

Maybe I should look at the stereo that's been in one spot in my shop for 15 years! :D

I built a cabinet for my tv and stereo years ago to protect from the dust and I have never had a problem. I just built the cabinet so there was about 4" all around the tv and alittle more behind for air movement and wires, cap it off with a glass panel door and it stays cool and clean. Just my two cents worth. Have a very Merry Christmas.

Nate

I had an old TV sitting on a corner shelf mounted near the ceiling for 10 years or more. The only problem I had was the dust on the screen attracted by the static electricity. It worked just fine but, I received a new flat screen TV for Christmas last year and got a wall mount arm for it. I mounted it in the same corner as close to the ceiling as I could get it (about nine foot ceilings) and again, have had NO problems. In Fact I don't even have the static problem now.

GO FOR IT!!

Rog

Solution.....sorry, I could resist. ;) ...I bought the 27" old TV from the Salvation army for $25 and when it quits, I'll get another. Don't know when that will be because mine has been going for years. Like Roger, I just occasionally wipe the dust off the screen due to static. I'd say your biggest enemy is heat...and yes, projectiles at Mach 2. I wouldn't worry too much about dust. As I proceed closer to legitimate man cave status, I anticipate larger screens, many watts of surround sound power, an a more comfortable chair in preparation for watching TWC...The Woodworking Channel and of course.....NASCAR,

Solution.....sorry, I could resist. ;)

Wow, lol, that's expensive! Is the TV embedded on the back side of this thing??

Thanks everyone for the input. I happened to be looking behind the TV in the living room and I noticed how much dust is back there. Man, it's gross! Given that it's working perfectly fine, I think you guys are right, I'm over thinking it!

The best way to prevent dust buildup is to encase it in a dust-free environment.

Reality check: keeping it behind a glass door when you aren't using it will cut down on the dust getting to it, but won't eliminate all the dust. wiping the screen down with a used dryer sheet will help - periodically clean the dust off with a gently used dryer sheet cleans the dust and reduces static buildup. unused dryer sheets still have some softener residue, or whatever, and can streak and stripe the screen.

Keep a flow of air past the TV for cooling purposes, and wipe the vents down periodically with some form of duster. I have a Swiffer brand extendable duster to get behind the TV in the main room, and it needs dusting probably every other week. (Then again, it's carpeted, and I have a ton of books three feet from it, and the air flow stops right over it...) The two things I have experienced that kill TVs faster are heat and kids, so if you can keep those two threats down, your TV should be fine.

(Especially if you keep the kids away from things like perfume or bug spray. Don't ask.)

I have a 21" flat panel on a telescoping wall mount in my shop and don't have any problems. It depends, I think, on how dust-free you keep your shop. I blow mine out on occasion, which kicks up a bunch of dust to settle. Normally, it is pretty low on airborne dust. Never had a problem with it, even when the garage was 104º over summer.

• 4 weeks later...

I had an old TV sitting on a corner shelf mounted near the ceiling for 10 years or more. The only problem I had was the dust on the screen attracted by the static electricity.

Rog

Ditto. Have a tv (in fact one with only a coax in) on a shelf near the ceiling in my shop. It is not enclosed. And like roger said, the only issue I get is dust on the glass that I have to wipe off every now and then. And when I do, I have to be careful to not be leaning against my jointer which is under it otherwise I get a little static shock. About once a year, I blow the tv off with compressed air.

I went to my old tv the other day and when I turned it on, it would give a slight flash up in one corner, but wouldn't come on. I said 'right after I posted bragging on you and here you quit'. I ignored it for a couple hours and tried it again and it came on. Next day, same thing happened; except this time, I put the air hose to it and blew some air in the back for 30 seconds, it began working. It was raining outside so it may have been the moisture. Better start scouting the Salvation Army.

I know that with computers, dust collects inside which reduces cooling efficiency, causing heat build-up, causing electronics to fail earlier. If you want the TV to last, I'd blow it out at least twice a year. If I were going to seal it into a cabinet, I'd worry about heat build up, and either provide filtered vents, or do something else to provide cooling.

I think the best solution is to use an inexpensive TV and not worry about it, and blow it out when you do your regular shop cleanup.

• 2 weeks later...