boom arm help

duckkisser

hey thinking i should put in a boom arm for my shop vac hose and extension cord. i know festool has one that goes on there shop vac but i cant afford 900 dollars and i already have a shop vac. the shop ceiling is about 20 feet tall so hanging is out of the question so i need to build a boom arm for my hose to come from the work table.

wondering if anyone has built there own and what they did that worked and what they did that didn't work.

why do you think a boom arm is so great?

if you could would you would post a picture of your set up?

Duck, I made my boom arm out of 2 inch pvc pipe. It is part of a dedicated cabinet on wheels that houses the shop vac and my 2 cyclones. I wheel to where ever it is needed. The top of the cabinet is a great tool rest but usually my thicknesser lives on top. The roll around cabinet lives against the wall whilst not needed on the far side of the shop and it is integrated into a small diameter, 2.5 inch, dust collection system that services my drill press, belt/disc sander and mitre saw.

I have the festool vac and boom arm. It seems like a great idea but it takes up a LOT of room when in use with whatever project you're working on. I took it off and now it rests in a corner out of the way.

DSC00208.jpg

hey thanks ya wish i could aford that festool but well just starting out in life and money is always tight plus 900 compaired with 120 shop vac big difference but where im at room is not a problem 20 ft high 3000 square feed floor room so i can build huge. by the way i have the little black stool got my feet on as we speek.

DK, when I build my assembly table, I'll be making a boom arm that can swivel out of the way. I haven't fleshed out the details yet, but will blog it when I do. That should be coming up in the spring or sooner.

(null)

cant wait to see it vic i was looking at pvc piping to be the frame but part of the problem was finding hoses that fit my sanders and the pipe plus it has to be long enough. thinking of using the pvc as a hose itself and then just straping a cord to the bottom of it. wish companies would use a universal size coupling for everyhting they make.

I just put an eye bolt in the joist over my bench I hang a bungie cord from the eye bolt run my shop vac hose through the bungie adjust it until it's comfotable. Est. cost $2.00, but the $900 one rocks.

wish that was a option my bench is on one side of the room up against wall and my asembly table is probably 5 feet away need to be able to sand on my table for when i make big stuff or for small stuff like a cutting board. and the joists are about 20 feet up dont think i can find a hose that long.

Duck, I made my boom arm out of 2 inch pvc pipe. It is part of a dedicated cabinet on wheels that houses the shop vac and my 2 cyclones. I wheel to where ever it is needed. The top of the cabinet is a great tool rest but usually my thicknesser lives on top. The roll around cabinet lives against the wall whilst not needed on the far side of the shop and it is integrated into a small diameter, 2.5 inch, dust collection system that services my drill press, belt/disc sander and mitre saw.

ya now i remember the video dave at the time i was more inturested in your water filtering system the boom arm looks good but where do you get the hose at? that thing looks to be 20 feet long longest i can find is a 10 foot one. my problem is i am trying to find a a way to hook the hose to pipes and the sanders went all over town looking for plumbing/vocuume/electrical connectors trying to figure out how to connect the hose to the sander and to the pipes.

by the way your flexible suckion to your drill press i did something similar out of flexible piping for water draining not as easy to move but once you have it in place where you want it its there for the long hall. thinking of hooking up the hose to the pvc to extend the shop vac hose the pvc will be the long part of the hose that way the hose is not suspended from the pipe but part or the piping. think that will work or will it be too much effort.

The vac hose is a Bosch air sweep hose from Amazon. Has a similar nozzle to festool. Look at my video again. You will see that the shop vac in the trolley can be independent or part of my small system. The boom arm always has access to the vac regardless.

if i remember my 8th grade conversion your hose is 5meters thats 15-16 feet i think hate to pay shiping and buy over the internet i prefer to suport the local stores but what can i do.

ehhh most companies just add 5-7 dollers to the cost of the item for the shipping standard practice usually the place i work for did it all the time. but i had an idea that would support the local businesses there is a pool supply store across town that is struggling with the new economy i think i might buy a 1 1/4 hose that is 24 feet long and adapt that to my shop vac and to my sanders. don't know if it will work but if it will rather give him 24 dollers then spend 40 on someone i dont know.

good to know i didnt even think about it being heavy if anything thought it would be light and get smashed by the suction. my dust collector is so loud now that i just put on my ear protection as soon as i come in the shop.

thanks dave and i hope your enjoying you new job(and have lots of new toys you can play with)

bought some pvc pipe and joints-$6.00 a pool hose that come apart into 10 foot extensions that is 40 feet long-$20.00. knowing that i didnt have to spend $200.00 priceless........now only working with it will decide if a boom arm is really necessary.