Over my head

sawdusty

Well I determined today that I'm in over my head with the work bench project. I thought I would be able to tackle it but it's clearly not the case. I was able to get the lumber for the top from a local yard that had 8/4 skip planed. I thought that would give me ahead start since I don't have a jointer. I've worked on one board all day and what do I have to show for it??? A 97" board that has no intention on being square or flat. 8/4 is just to big for me to handle, I had high hopes, but it looks like I should just stick with the little stuff. :(

Like the others, my first thought was "where are you from?". Likely one of the many people here is close by and could help out. And like Russ said, some places will dimension the stock for you. If it's a dealer, they'll charge for it. You might also ask about a local woodworkers' group. We have one in Phoenix and often we get mail from the president saying someone contacted him needing help on a project.

Well I determined today that I'm in over my head with the work bench project. I thought I would be able to tackle it but it's clearly not the case. I was able to get the lumber for the top from a local yard that had 8/4 skip planed. I thought that would give me ahead start since I don't have a jointer. I've worked on one board all day and what do I have to show for it??? A 97" board that has no intention on being square or flat. 8/4 is just to big for me to handle, I had high hopes, but it looks like I should just stick with the little stuff. :(

Like everyone said sawdusty, where are you, what is your location. With that said, there is more than one way to skin a cat (ask any redneck) SORRY REDNECKS!!! Where there is a will there is a way. I'm sure you have someone local to lend you a helping hand. With that said. I am on long island and anyone that needs a hand with this or any other project give me a holler. Back to where there is a will there is a way... The question now becomes "do you have the will?" Keep your head up, if nothing else you will learn something from this experience and that pays dividends in the end. The most powerful commodity is information.

Kaiser out

The truth is that the top is the heaviest part of the project. So once you have the tops milled, everything else deals with smaller parts that are much more manageable. I hate to see you get discouraged since the rest of the project is much easier. I was working on the legs yesterday and although they are pretty heavy duty, they are cake compared to the top. So if there is anything I can do to help out just let me know. But this sounds more like something where you need a little more physical assistance.

Thanks to all for the encouragement, I do have a bit of stubbornness in me but at this point in my life I have less stamina and more stubborn B). The place that I purchased the lumber will mill it for me but I want to do it myself (stubborn). I've been following The Village Carpenter as she is also building a large workbench and is limited on power tools. I'm not sure what the secret is, but her boards look clean as Marc's, USING HAND TOOLS! If I plane my board any further I'll be left with a tooth pick (exaggeration). Fortunately I live in Los Angeles about 35 miles from a woodworking school run by William Ng. I'll contact him and hopefully I can rent some shop time and get some assistance. If that doesn't pan out maybe a guild member in the LA area can give me a shout out :D

Thanks again

PS photo is loading car with 9 ft 8/4

post-528-0-30692400-1326922842_thumb.jpg

I just sent off an email to William to see if he can help you out. I'll let you know what he says.

And don't get too discouraged. Kari makes it look easy. I have no problem saying that hand tools require A LOT more skill and practice than most power tools. That must be why I never flatten boards that way, lol.

I've only been at it for 9 mos. but I find that the moments when I take the biggest leaps in my woodworking come shortly after those when I'm most overwhelmed. I'm sure any of the experienced wood workers here would tell you that they dealt with the same thing. Improving your skills to the point of those we admire has a lot more to do with patience and working through challenges than anything else. Take your time, keep working at it and you'll have a breakthrough that moves you further down the path.

Stick with it Sawdusty! I was in a similar spot. Although I do have a jointer, the size of these tops are unmanageable to say the least. The initial milling went fine, as did the glue up. But then they sat on the horses for a good 2 weeks while I doubted my ability to get these tops square. Eventually I got up the courage to go at them. Frustrating as all get out trying to manuever these beasts in my small shop space, but when they finally registered square I was amazed at how far my skills in ww have come(shout out of thanks and praise to Marc is due here!!!). I quickly found a renewed excitement in the bench and can't wait for the work day to be done so I can get back at it. Sometimes I have to remind myself, this is a hobby and there is no need to stress myself out.

• 2 weeks later...

What a difference a day makes. I was all stressed out about keeping up with guild build, getting my boards square, creating a picture perfect bench when BAM! I get word that my very best friend was just diagnosed with cancer. This news sure has put my craziness in the proper persecutive. I've stopped all projects to support Denise and her family, she came though the surgery fine but more cancer was found than expected. She'll start chemo in about two weeks and is planning on having a head shaving party. So if I show up with a funny hat on it's because I've decided to go bald to help bring light to this terrible disease and most of all, make Denise laugh. I'm a little nervous about doing this but why should I, I'm not fighting for my life, I'm just getting a hair cut! :(

What a difference a day makes. I was all stressed out about keeping up with guild build, getting my boards square, creating a picture perfect bench when BAM! I get word that my very best friend was just diagnosed with cancer. This news sure has put my craziness in the proper persecutive. I've stopped all projects to support Denise and her family, she came though the surgery fine but more cancer was found than expected. She'll start chemo in about two weeks and is planning on having a head shaving party. So if I show up with a funny hat on it's because I've decided to go bald to help bring light to this terrible disease and most of all, make Denise laugh. I'm a little nervous about doing this but why should I, I'm not fighting for my life, I'm just getting a hair cut! :(

Cheers to you... Thank you for puttting things into perspective for all of us!!! Get well Denise with God Speed!!!