Climate Changes at IWF

thanks for the post - good read. The interesting thing is that this year, on ALL the posts RE IWF everyone seems to mention how different and shrunk the show seems to be, with so many exhibitors not there anymore.

I would like to think that we are at the low end, and it will pick back up from here. more jobs, better balanced economy.

I went to the show for the first time this year. I mainly went to see the Hammer A3 31. I was overwhelmed but a little disappointed. There was some really cool machinery but not a lot of hand tools or woodworking for the small shop. I saw Bridge City and Lee Valley. Bought a couple of the large Magswitches for $20 each.

Interesting article. I think a big part of the problem is that tool manufacturers are having to compete with the used tool market. There are constantly quality tools been sold on places like CL for half of what a new tool would cost. There are several instances where the tool is in good shape because it was bought by a homeowner or hobbyist that can longer afford their home or a hobbyist who just can't afford to woodwork. Let's be honest this is not a cheap hobby. Even if you buy used tools that is only part of the cost, wood gets pretty pricey and I don't see it getting any cheaper. I have struggled with this myself a couple over times over the past year since I took up the hobby. I have thought about throwing in the towel because the cost associated with woodworking and the thought of having to give up other hobbies to get the full satisfaction out of woodworking is a tough pill to swallow. Fortunately I have friends like Paul Marcel that help keep me motivated and interested in woodworking. Thanks Paul! I also have Marc to thank for having this wonderful website loaded with content and having the ability to email him with questions is great. Not to mention the forums that are loaded with content and friendly hobbyist and professional woodworkers who are always happy to help. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it plays out

Excellent point about competing with used tool outlets. As I see it, the manufacturers won't see an uptick in sales for many years to come. There is a glut of used homes for sale nationwide with some absorption rate estimates as long as five years...from when houses start selling again. New construction will happen but at a greatly reduced rate, again, when houses start selling. It looks to me like renovations is where the work will be in residential and commercial construction.

And we don't even want to think about the furniture industry. :(