Mix your own Arm-R-Seal

Chopcat

I believe it (and probably many other finishes) have been banned in California too, due to VOC content. On the Amazon page for Arm-r-Seal, it clearly states "WILL NOT SHIP TO CALIFORNIA".

You could probably try different mixtures of whatever varnish you can get, thinned with mineral spirits or some other appropriate thinner. From what I have read, you need to be careful with the thinner as some finishes use 'other' thinners, in an an attempt to comply with VOC regulations, which might not be compatible with mineral spirits. I don't have any specific examples - again, I'm only mentioning what I have read.

You might also want to start trying out different water-borne finishes, as I am sure more and more solvent-based finishes will continue to be banned.

Hi Chopcat,

Arm-R-Seal is also my favourite finish and I bought a few cans before GF stopped stocking it in the UK. I know you stated that water based finishes were not what you wanted, however I have found another finish that GF do and am really pleased with it. Maybe other EU based woodworkers would like to know about it in light of the ban on Arm-R-Seal. It's called Outdoor 450 from GF and is water based, you can wipe it on, spray it on, foam brush it etc. It dries within an hour (so not many problems with dust nibs) ready for sanding/recoating and up to now the semi-gloss I'm using seems to be just as durable as Arm-R-Seal and looks great with a slight yellow tint. It goes on over shellac too with no problems but best of all there is absolutely no odour - great for inside your boxes and drawers. I have left it to cure for a week and then given it a polish with 0000 wire wool or 2000 grit and it comes up really well.

I'm becoming a convert as I needed something that was water-resistant for a bathroom wash stand/vanity and GF Europe suggested it so out of curiousity I have tried it on non bathroom projects too with great results. (I don't work for GF by the way)

I haven't tried the gloss yet so can't comment on that.

Hope this helps

Terry

As said in previous posts I know you are not looking for water based finishes, but I do find GF 450 great for extieror uses and GF Enduro Var for interior. The Enduro Var gives you that great depth that the oil based finishes give you. Give it a try.

And you can still order arm-r-seal in CA it depends on the city regulations also. Woodcraft will sell it too you :)

Truth be told though I have switch to water born products and have to say they are such a pleasure to work with. The dry time is amazing and they spray and brush well.