iSocket/iVac?

Jfitz

Does anyone use either of these devices?

I am thinking of mounting one to my ShopVac, running a long power cord along the hose (attached with zip ties or tape), and then modifying the power cord on some tools (ROS, for example) to a shorter length ; this way I can just plug the tool into the 'hose' and make use of the iDevice to turn on the vac.

I use the isocket with a wall hung shopvac. It works great. I use it to turn on my DC with my router table and drum sander.

The drawback is the housing. I've had to tape mine together because the plastice ears holding the case together broke off. I just got tired of holding the unit together when I would unplug anything.

I have shortened the wires on most of my portable power tools. I just open up the top and cut back the original cord so the plug is a couple of inches past the boot. My initial intention was to make it easier to store the tools without having to wind up a long cord.

I have since added a small shop vac under my bench with a long hose. I attached an extension cord to the hose and it works perfectly. The next step is to add an automated switch to turn on the vac.

When I use tools that don't have a dust pickup (routers) I have a couple of extension cords available.