popping maple other dyes?

duckkisser

i have some realy nice curly maple and i want to pop the grain more (yes i have seen the video of marc) is there any substitues for transtint dye to pop my maple wood? i realy dont want to drive 40 min one way to buy a tiny bottle of dye from a specilty store. is there something that i can use from around the house or pick up from a menards like store?

every web site i have seen talks about using dyes and material that i cant get ahold of right now.

how about food coloring? if it dont turn out i can always eat it.

Duck, there isn't any 'dye' in BLO, it just darkens it due to it being an oil.

Do you have any small pieces you could try out different finishes? if you have some amber shellac, try it on a little piece. If you have BLO, try that on a little piece (let it fully dry and maybe try a second application).

• 3 weeks later...

My first choice would be a water soluble powdered aniline dye. One ounce will make up to two quarts of dye. I think the major problem with homemade dyes are that they are not light-fast and will fade over time. If you want to try stuff around the house, you can use tea or walnut hulls (the soft covering) for brown, beets for red, and turmeric (spice) for yellow. The key is to simmer and reduce to concentrate the color. You can blend the above to produce other shades and dilute to varying strengths. Again, the problem will be light-fastness, these will fade with light exposure.

One of the biggest problem with dyes is the insane cost to the average home shop. $15 - $20 bucks to get your hands on a little bottle of transtint is crazy. IMO your better off buying by the pound and having a lifetime supply rather than giving your money away paying for little plastic bottles. The bottle is worth more than the dye.:) It cost less to buy a full pound than it does to buy two tiny bottles of transtint.

Don

so what is the difference between dyes and stain?

Dyes are are colorant and are disolved into the carrier. Stain can be dye and pigment. Pigments are not disolved and need some sort of binder. Think of stain as a very weakly mixed finish. WB pigment stains in simple terms are pigments, water,and WB poly mixed together.

The advantage to dye is that you can use it many ways and your not buying water. You can use it as just a dye or create a dye stain or even tint a finish. You can use pigment stains to tint a finish also, but your really making paint when you do that. Dyes make finishing very easy and more diversified. As far as adding color goes dyes are superior but do take some level of experience. Not saying its hard, but you do have to come up with your own recipes. Folks tend to keep their formulas to themselves, so spendind time to build your own is time consuming. Dyes are much cheaper but are supposed to be less light fast. But the difference is not worth mentioning when you buy quality dyes. Most furniture and millwork around the world uses dye, so i dont worry about it. Once you master dyes imo there really is no reason to buy stain in a can.