how to attach top shelving to bottom cabinet

Pbmaster11

there are alot of ways to attach the top... you could dowl the peices into the top with out glue then screw some sort of cleat or figure 8 fastner on the back to secure the two together. You could use some type of KO fastner. if you want to go really crazy you could use a sliding dovetail into the top and then just use a cleat on the back. hope this helps

Generally a hutch on top of something like a desk is just fastened from the back. Just make sure that the bottom edge of the top units are beefy with a 1x3 or similar. Then, from behind, put a metal bracket that screws into the top edge of the bottom unit and the bottom edge of the top unit. If the three top pieces are connected securely, then nothing will move on you.

minifix? and KO?

With mdf I use minifix. Minifix are those KD dowels with the cam. Lately Ive been using dominos for stacked units. Stick a 50mm dominos in each corner and pin them from inside of the lower cabinet, this makes for a very clean install quick and easy. No hardware to buy and they are plenty strong.

Don

With mdf I use minifix. Minifix are those KD dowels with the cam. Lately Ive been using dominos for stacked units. Stick a 50mm dominos in each corner and pin them from inside of the lower cabinet, this makes for a very clean install quick and easy. No hardware to buy and they are plenty strong.

Don

Don,

I really like that domino idea it's simple and clean. Also nice to use the domino jointer where ever possible.

EQ cables? not a term I am familiar with. I understand the need to prevent tipping on a upper case.

EQ cables are earthquake cables. Any frestanding cabinetry you install or sell over 6 ft should include EQ fasteners or simple to follow instuctions explainging how to fasten to the wall. FEMA code is not enforced in residential applications unless the cabinetry is installed by a "professional". Either way dowels and cheap eq cables are a very easy solution to the op's origonal question.

Don

Generally a hutch on top of something like a desk is just fastened from the back. Just make sure that the bottom edge of the top units are beefy with a 1x3 or similar. Then, from behind, put a metal bracket that screws into the top edge of the bottom unit and the bottom edge of the top unit. If the three top pieces are connected securely, then nothing will move on you.

+1, the top isn't going anywhere once it is placed on top of the base. You only need a simple bracket on the back to secure them together. And you have a left and a right side which will keep the whole top unit even more secure.