Hand Tool Lottery!

Cantil3v3r

Ok so recently a family friends grandfather had to leave his shop of over 20 years and head to a nursing facility. Upon the family trying to clean up the house they ventured into his shop and took a few things that meant the most to them. Not being woodworkers themselves, and knowing that I try to be from time to time, I was fortunate enough to be asked if I would like any of his tools. I had no idea what I was going to find when I ventured over there but what I found was incredible. The most incredible thing wasn't the actual tools themselves, but seeing what 20 years in a basement shop with 6'2" ceilings can bring. I just walked around for about 15 minutes taking it all in, wishing that I had the opportunity to enjoy the shop with him in it, seeing it in its true prime. Just the smell of it made me smile with the slightly damp feel of the close quarters. This was a guy who worked as a civilian carpenter for the Navy and who saved every last scrap, bag and nail to reuse at some point. I loved the fact that I found a paper 1 pound sugar bag full of small wooden dowels that was probably about 20 years old. Seeing all of the old hand tools like pliers and wrenches with the classic 'Made in U.S.A.' stamped into them made me want to get rid of my cheaper ones made in China or Taiwan. Everywhere you looked, you could just tell that this was his castle, his place of peace. I would have been content just sitting down there for hours, not making anything, but just relaxing and fiddling around, reading a book, or enjoying somebody elses company. To me this truly was a magical place. In that I truly was fortunate enough, and with my lack of hand tool skills - undeserving, of the tools I was able to take with me. I expressed to the family how amazing all of these pieces were and the history of them, at least to me was very meaningful. I hope to someday be able to refurbish these planes and bring back the shine and the edge that they once had.

If my memory serves me right, the planes are as follows from right to left:

No 8 Stanley Bailey Corrugated Jointer Plane

No 5 Stanley Bailey Jack Plane

No 93 Stanley Rabbit Plane

No 4 Stanley Bailey Smooth Plane

No 4 Stanley Smooth Plane

No 78 Stanley Duplex Rabbet Plane

63a77691.jpg

Then we have:

Stanley Router Plane (I think No 71)

Stanley Cabinet Scraper (I think No 80)

Other hand tools

d2b66fe2.jpg

Wow. Wow. Wow.

Very nice set of tools. While it's sad in its own right that their owner can't use them anymore, it's nice to see that the family let them continue life with a woodworker they know instead of selling them off for way too cheap at an estate sale.

So put a webcam in your shop and start streaming. Let the guy watch you work or even do two-way video Skype. He'd like the shop time by proxy and might pass on a trick or two.

Excellent. I especially love the old level :) That's a pretty complete plane collection. That Stanley smoother that isn't a Bailey is a Stanley Gage plane. Here's a small thread from Sawmill Creek with some good info on it:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57786

Though unfortunate that a craftsman must give up his shop, he and his family are fortunate that they were able to pass the tools on to someone who will appreciate them and take care of them.

Excellent. I especially love the old level :) That's a pretty complete plane collection. That Stanley smoother that isn't a Bailey is a Stanley Gage plane. Here's a small thread from Sawmill Creek with some good info on it:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57786

Though unfortunate that a craftsman must give up his shop, he and his family are fortunate that they were able to pass the tools on to someone who will appreciate them and take care of them.

Thanks for the link, some interesting information, and I'm happy to learn more about each of the planes. I know it will take some time and work to get the planes properly cleaned and tuned up again but I do hope to bring them back to their former glory so that I can pass them down someday to my son (he'll be born in January).

Some of those pliers and squares are identical to the ones I got from my father. He was born in the 1920s, probably about the same time as your grandfather. Those old tools have a character that I don't see in stuff made today.

Thank you for sharing!

Chip - One of the things I loved was that all of the tools were so well made, still smooth action on them, and the history and character to go along with them. These will easily outlast the current sets of pliers, etc that I currently own. Very excited about all of these tools, and hopefully I can put them to use and post up projects I used them on and the before and after pics when I restore them.

I remember as a little kid "helping" my father with DIY projects. Every tool had a name and a particular spot in the tool cabinet, and I learned all of them. "Chip, please get me the 8" adjustable crescent wrench." "Chip, please get me the 6" side cutters." Not the end cutters or the diagonal cutters or the line-mans pliers. Even before I was old enough to use the tools, I knew the name of each one and what it was for, and pretty much how it was used. That's something you lose with power tools; a kid can't stick their face in your work to see what's going on.

Cantil3v3r, you're right. Even in the '60s I looked on those tools as almost magical artifacts from a different age, when people bothered with fit and finish and design and elegance for utilitarian things. Wood boxes with joinery, just to hold a tool! A long way from plastic clam-shells.

if you want to type date those stanley baileys, check this site out:

http://hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/index.php

Mike - thanks for the link, I actually saw that page yesterday. I am going to have to take a few minutes and sit down with each plane at the computer to properly date each of the planes. I know next to nothing about planes but am excited to learn. I started to watch your video about tuning up an older one but of course work got in the way, so I'll have to continue little by little as I get free time.

Is there any reason why I wouldnt want to completely restore any of these planes? I don't really plan on selling them, unless I really did win the lottery, but just hope to be able to have a good set of workable planes to use that are clean, sharp, and dependable.

Well, especially given the circumstances how you got them, even winning the lottery wouldn't be a good reason to sell them. I have no experience with the Gage Stanley, but you have some great planes that you could clean up and tune easily and get them in excellent working condition.

There are lots of guys in here with plenty of plane rehab experience who love to answer questions, so you're in good company. Forgive the video's length, it was a live demo so there are lots of interruptions :) you're welcome to email or message me if you need some in depth descriptions or such.