Going un pro-ductive

dwacker

After big plans, purchasing an offsite facility and equiping it for offsite finishing a trip to the doc puts a halt to all the plans. Im shutting down the cabinet side of my business and will be semi retiring. No more spray finishing, no more kitchen cabinets not much more of anything for that matter. I'd like to spend the remaining time doing nothing but furniture. No sheet goods just good old fashioned hardwood home furniture. No rush, no deadlines and no profit margins to worry about. This boils down to what to do with it all? A guy can only use so much furniture. Ive though about opening a galley but the boss says no way. So how do you guys get rid of the un needed stuff you build? Ive got to do something during the day, not going to waste away on the couch.

Don

Schools, churches, etc often have auctions or raffles to raise money. You could donate it and write off the estimated value on your taxes (check with an accountant). A friend of mine who knits donates her stuff to her children's school and they auction it off. I've seen all sorts of stuff in those auctions.

If you want to sell it, see if you can find an antique dealer who would be willing to buy it, or to take it "on spec" (when/if they sell it, they keep a percentage and give you the rest).

And, there's always Ebay, but I figure if you wanted to go that route you wouldn't be asking.

Sorry to hear about the medical problems. Hope you have a long and happy semi-retirement!

--- Chip

After big plans, purchasing an offsite facility and equiping it for offsite finishing a trip to the doc puts a halt to all the plans. So how do you guys get rid of the un needed stuff you build? Ive got to do something during the day, not going to waste away on the couch.

Don

Pretty much everything I do has a home before I start. Assessing the wants and needs of friends and family is a good start. You now have the opportunity to pick and choose what YOU want to build!

I'm really sorry to hear about the medical issues. I hope everything goes as well as possible for you, and hope you'll be hanging around for a long, long time!

Hi Don - I didn't like reading your post any more than I'm sure you wanted to write it. I hope you find the right balance of Enjoying life and keeping busy in your semi-retirement.

Have you thought about some sort of class/teaching environment? This way the 'students' would take their work home with them.

don you could try selling at different markets craft sales ect.....if you dont mind the time spent waiting for a sale. alot of retireies open flea market shops and booths to sell stuff and eat up time. in the local area there are alot of people who are going back to the old style swaps and farmers markets to buy and sell stuff they make and grow. maybe when you get several pieces of furniture you could go on tour to sell a collection of furniture. if there are any wood working groups you could team up to sell stuff and share the booth fees till you get a big enough stock to sell.

don if you dont mind me asking can you just not spray or is it something else? perhaps you can take on a aprentice or have someone else do the finish work for you.

Don,

As someone who has been told by a doctor to hang up their career I extend my deepest apologizes. It sounds like you have the opportunity to engage in relaxed woodworking...something that has probably been a while since you've done.

The town I live in has a furniture store that all the proceeds go towards cancer research and is stocked purely off of donations. Something like that would be a worth while outlet for your talents.

Good luck on your new path and try and enjoy the slow pace. Easier said than done,

Dustin

Don - I'm very sorry to read what obviously was very hard for you to write. I sincerely hope things go well for you. I don't expect you'll have any problems finding a home for your work.

Though I haven't been very active recently on the forum, I'd just like to say that I very much appreciate your posts - usually succinct and very knowledgeable. Keep up the good work!

All the best,

John

Thanks folks. I think we came up some ideas. NW woodworkers has a jury system Im going look into. Then there is always building for the grandson and pre building for a future grandchinld from my youngest. NW woodworkers is a pretty neat place. Dont really see much sell but they have been around for years.

Don

• 1 year later...

Don...sorry to hear about the health issues. To your issue of what to do...finally, like you said, no deadlines or profit margins to worry about. Good deal. Now, what kind of furniture  do you want to make? It was suggested to build pieces for charities to auction off.  That's always a good thing.   Churches are often sending kids to camp and are fundraising through yard sales, selling doughnuts, and raffles.  Sometimes they raffle off nicer things like something that you may build.  You could work a deal with them to pay for materials and you'd donate the rest.  They'd probably take that deal.

Maybe, make a special piece of furniture for the special people in your life.  My father-in-law was a wood worker and we still have some very special pieces that he built and they are cherished and will be passed down. It is a goal of mine to build some of these 'special things' that kids and grand kids will remember "Papa Tim" by after I'm gone.

Occasional classes? Workshops for kids? For Adults? Teaching some at the local Technical college?  Take some classes yourself that you never had time to do - like a class with David Marks.......that..........would be nice! Just some thoughts.  We all appreciate you here and are supporting you and many of us will be praying for you.

Tim

Tim

Don...sorry to hear about the health issues. To your issue of what to do...finally, like you said, no deadlines or profit margins to worry about. Good deal. Now, what kind of furniture  do you want to make? It was suggested to build pieces for charities to auction off.  That's always a good thing.   Churches are often sending kids to camp and are fundraising through yard sales, selling doughnuts, and raffles.  Sometimes they raffle off nicer things like something that you may build.  You could work a deal with them to pay for materials and you'd donate the rest.  They'd probably take that deal.

Maybe, make a special piece of furniture for the special people in your life.  My father-in-law was a wood worker and we still have some very special pieces that he built and they are cherished and will be passed down. It is a goal of mine to build some of these 'special things' that kids and grand kids will remember "Papa Tim" by after I'm gone.

Occasional classes? Workshops for kids? For Adults? Teaching some at the local Technical college?  Take some classes yourself that you never had time to do - like a class with David Marks.......that..........would be nice! Just some thoughts.  We all appreciate you here and are supporting you and many of us will be praying for you.

Tim

Tim

Thanks. I did go back to work the greed got the best of me. I took on a a big contract that should take three years to complete. Not working hard but still working daily. I have taken the chance to get my grandson in the shop and use him as almost free labor. :) By the end of the contract he should be a cabinet maker at 13 if he sticks with it.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your medical issues. I am sure you will still spend most of your time in the shop, and I can't wait to see what kind of hardwood furniture you build!

I always look forward to your knowledgable replies to posts, and I am sure I will continue to look forward to them for a long time to come.

• Like 1

I haven't been on here very long but, I've always found you to be a pretty sharp guy with a pretty level head.  I'm sure that a path will show itself for you and you'll make the most of it.

I sincerely hope the medical stuff works out for you.