Overall Width

Finally got started on the bench build this weekend. After getting everything rough milled I was a tad over sized....ultimately this is giving me about 1-1/4" oversized (3/4" in the rear slab and 1/2" in the front slab). At $4.27 per foot I can't bear to take anymore out of these pieces.

My plan is to leave the extra width and add the same to the short stretchers to keep everyhing in line in the plans. Am I missing anything here? I don't see that this will impact anything critical but I wanted a second opinion.

M

The best thing to do is go through all the detail sheets in the Roubo plan and mark up any dimension changes you might have to make. I don't see any problem adding width to the bench, but it does effect a few things. In addition to adding length to the stretchers, you also have to add length to the shelf boards and short shelf ledgers.The front slab and end cap details also will also be effected by the additional 1/2". Be careful to recalculate all the necessary dimensions. I would add the 1/2" to the back side of the front slab. Remember the front slab is upside down in the plans showing the hole locations and the screw cavity so make note of where that extra 1/2" is going. Work it all out and let it sit for a couple of hours or day, and then go back to it one more time to make sure you didn't miss anything. The end vise template might also have to be adjusted for the additional width, so keep that in mind also. The installation of the BenchCrafted hardware is one place you don't want to screw up. I don't want to read about this bench in the "We're not at home to Mr Cock-Up" forum topic, so take your time with this, lol.

Other than that, I think you'll be alright.

Art K.

PS: I'm assuming you're installing the BC hardware.

• 11 months later...

Hi Guilders,

I just joined today!

I have a question regarding a similar overall width change. I am building the split-top from 6x6 Douglas Fir beams, (they're actually around 5.5"x5.5") My question is can I reduce the width of the two tops to around 10" maybe 10.25"? The plan calls for two 11 and 1/16 inch tops.  I'm trying to get away with using as few lamination as possible, and the wood is already so large adding on a tiny 1" strip could look odd.

Any suggestions? I basically bought four 12' pieces of these 6x6's and was going to build a chris schwarz style roubo, so I bought the wood. But then I realized how nice it is to be able to run the smaller split-top pieces through my 12" planer, and now am going with the guild/BC split roubo.

Thanks for any suggestions,

alamont

• 2 weeks later...