The end of Scorpion season is near.

azmetro

All pics taken with a standard digicam with DUV light(blacklight) which makes them appear to glow. This effect can be seen many feet away from the Scorpion when hunting them.

61 Scorpions hunted successfully

2 Scorpions hunted and escaped

5 Scorpions inside the house<------------ A very good number.

3 Scorpions in the garage

And the most important tally.................

0 Scorpion bites for 2010 Scorpion Season.

post-558-078021300 1283388848_thumb.jpg

post-558-079942600 1283388853_thumb.jpg

post-558-002731100 1283388914_thumb.jpg

post-558-061769700 1283388919_thumb.jpg

post-558-003577500 1283388924_thumb.jpg

Oh my good buddies, the Scorpions. Not the band of course....

Back in our old house, we basically bordered the open desert. We would periodically have scorpions in the house and shop. And the ones in the shop were the big buggers too. Fortunately, in our new house we haven't seen a single one. Being born and raised in New Jersey, thinking of a scorpion as a household pest took a little getting used to.

And what exactly do you do with them once you capture them?

I would like to say I release them into the outskirts of town to live happy Scorpion lives but I put them in a jar and feed them crickets or preserve them in denatured alcohol. If you do the weekly scheduled walk around the property I feel it limits the amount that will get inside. No way to get rid of them 100%. Just a fact of life in certain parts of Az. Most caught in one night was 15, least was 4.

And what do you do with "Preserved Scorpions?"

I put them on toothpicks lining the walkway to my house so every scorpion can see what will happen to them if they should revolt in Rome once again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spartacus style.

Seriously, I have no good reason. Just to do it I guess.

No scorpions where I am, but I had a Black Widow spider, with a body the size of a peanut M&M outside the shop yesterday.

I'm no very fond of bugs that can kill me...

Gregory

Pff... we got those in AZ too... I destroyed a plastic clip board last week swinging wildly at a black widow. Dumb thing to do.

I had a scorpion jump on my friends foot in my garage about 2 weeks ago. This is not good considering I walk around barefoot.

Gonna have to get a black light and go hunting.

Actually, once in a blue moon I get a wasp nest in my overgrown rosemary bush. That scares me far more than scorpions and black widows. Once they start to attack, it's a swarm. Plus I figure they are pretty peed off about the heat out here, too, so kinda edgy. A dark corner where nothing has moved for a long time is suspect for black widows. The webs are easy to recognize (unlike the artistry of other spiders, black widow webs look like she was on something when spinning it... it's a mess). One shot of bug spray on it, she's gone. I haven't had scorpions here in a long long time (knock on fake laminated wood product...) People say they get stung because one holes up in their shoe. Well, don't put your shoes in the garage. My mom got stung that way. Other than the constant stinging for a couple days, no ill effects. Oddly enough, the baby tiny ones have the worse sting; the large ones don't inject much venom, if any, but their stinger is much bigger (and freakin' ugly).

I just got back from Perú and visited the Amazon jungle there; they don't sell books. We went for a night walk and the guy flipped on the UV. Jezuz, turn that off! You thought you were fine until the UV light showed you were completely surrounded by all kinds of ugliness!

I don't know about all those other things, but up here in Wisconsin, we have misquotes that ca pick you right up out of your chair.... They are another reason that I got an AC unit for the garage, if the heat doesn't get ya, the bugs will..

I don't know about all those other things, but up here in Wisconsin, we have misquotes that ca pick you right up out of your chair.... They are another reason that I got an AC unit for the garage, if the heat doesn't get ya, the bugs will..

Mosquitos?!? Dude, follow these instructions to the letter and problem solved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VICaWgD-76w

I hear that! I'm from northern Wisconsin, and between the mosquitos and horse flies, you lose a good hunk of flesh every time you step outside. They won't kill you instantly with venom, but they could sure chew you to death.

Oddly enough, out here in Seattle the mosquitos will land on me, get bored, and wander off. The first apartment I rented out here didn't even have screens on the windows. I went and asked the manager about this and he just looked at me funny and asked why I'd need those.

I hear that! I'm from northern Wisconsin, and between the mosquitos and horse flies, you lose a good hunk of flesh every time you step outside. They won't kill you instantly with venom, but they could sure chew you to death.

Oddly enough, out here in Seattle the mosquitos will land on me, get bored, and wander off. The first apartment I rented out here didn't even have screens on the windows. I went and asked the manager about this and he just looked at me funny and asked why I'd need those.

Mosquito ADD? Now I've heard of everything! It's Seattle... they probably changed their minds for a latté.

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in Tempe for 25 years and we were one week away from moving to Vermont when one of my daughters got a scorpion sting. She had a nasty reaction and we spent the night in the ER. Haven't seen a scorpion, rattler, sidewinder or gila monster since we moved! Now we deal with moose and bears, but we can usually see them coming. Under 110 degrees out there yet?

Mark

Under 110 degrees out there yet?

Mark

Barely. Thursday is predicted at 108º, the other days are a veritable cold front at just 104º. We've been setting or tying record highs for over a week now and it isn't fun. I have a project in the shop that has taken a week of talking myself into going out there to work on it and tonight it's at glue-up, but instead I'm on the keyboard under an A/C vent (wonder why).

I fully expect that sometime in the next 3 years we'll just skip all seasons but "low summer" and "high summer" and the median temperature all year long will be 100º.

Alright alright, I'll go outside and glue-up...